“Decent burgers, cool spot”
Review of Hodad's

Hodad's
Ranked #13 of 4,749 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Ocean Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Decent burgers, cool spot”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Right near the beach where we watched surfers. Tasty messy burgers. Nuff said. Wish I had room from onion rings and/or a shake.

• Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida
“Don't Believe the HYPE!!!”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

When a place is billed as "Having the best burger in America" as it was on DDD,I had some great expectations. Unfortunately, Hodad's definitely didn't live up to the hype. I had never been to OB before so it was cool driving down Newport Ave as it's a really fun, eclectic area and as we approached Hodads, the line was way out the door so something "had" to be special there, right? As it was a beautiful, sunny day in the 80's (who can beat that on Jan 17th?:-)), we decided to get a to go order and eat out on the beach so there was no waiting to place a to go order. The interior is very "rustic", has very much a "dive bar" feeling, covered with license plates from everywhere and extremely crowded. The servers really made an attempt to be friendly however something was just off and they really didn't seem to enjoy working there. The one thing that struck me is that the menu is just that; what you see on the menu is what you get. There is not a lot of customization of burgers allowed. They have a few variations on their burgers listed on the menu and won't vary from that and certain things that we like on burgers such as grilled mushrooms and onions aren't offered and they are very unapologetic about that fact. With lines down the street to get in, I guess they don't have to be. At any rate, once we got the food and went down to the beach, we were just kinda underwhelmed. I mean, it was good but nothing great. Average meat patty...they do go crazy with the veggies and condiments however...kinda makes up for the disappointing patty but not really. Burger was comparable to Bob's Big Boy but not quite as good. I think the 6 dollar burger at Carls Jr is much better as is In & Out's. Their version of fries remind me of the potato wedges or "jojo's" that you can get at the Wal-Mart deli and the shakes, both chocolate and strawberry, were good but again, nothing special. The one standout we did have were the onion rings. Very greasy but some the best that I've ever had(I'm still belching grease from em though:-). All in all, it was a fun afternoon at the beach however I really don't think I'd make the trip again. Prices at Hodad's were too high for the quality of food and service and there are much better places in town. I'm not saying don't go to Hodad's, I'm just saying don't have too high of expectations or you're gonna be sorely disappointed. Don't believe the Hype!!!!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank JARHEADJ
Dover, New Hampshire
“Sooo yummy!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Totally lived up to how great I thought it would be! Great burger and amazing onion rings. So glad we went.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Words cannot describe the delicious!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

If you don't know to get in line way before the lunch hour, you will have to try the next day. The line at hodad's starts around 9:30 - 10:00 and is bent around the block all day. The seating is limited and party style, so don't be shy. You get your drink in a mason jar and you wait...then the burger arrives. It is ladeled into a basket for you because the tower of awesome can't stand on its own. You pick it up with all the toppings and try to get everything in one bite. It was fantastic! The best burger I have ever eaten and I've eaten a lot of burgers. We were lucky to catch a hole in the never ending line of people, but don't count on it. Plan ahead for a trip to burger heaven.

• Visited June 2013
San Diego, California, USA
“Love the burgers”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Been going to hodads for years love everything they have. You have to go hungry! Two locations now original in OB and new one in downtown. Both are great!

• Visited January 2014