“EPIC BURGERS!!!!!!!”

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Ocean Beach
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We saw this place on DDD and it was even more than I expected. The line was out the door and literally to the corner of the block. I didn't take 20 minutes, though, and the hostess came and asked for a party of two and if we wanted to sit in the bus. We looked at each other with confused looks and my wife gave and enthusiastic "YEEEAH!". I didn't know what to expect, but we were seated in a vintage VW bus pick-up cab thing. I was sooooo cool. We had a blast just looking at all the stuff on the walls as we waited for our food. Be prepared, though. This place is loud. There is music playing and just the fact that there are so many people packed in this little place makes is loud. Everything was great though: fries, rings, burgers, and beer! A "CANT MISS" place if you are within a hundred miles!!!
P.S. - The beach within walking distance is really good too.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,004)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

and crowded. Long line in the afternoon. No where to sit. Not great to take kids to. Next to ocean beach

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Used to be at this place on weekly bases till few years ego that I was re stationed. Came back to find out not only they have a new location but supposedly it has been sold and new owners. Bit too many people but burgers were ok, I think I hit my other place in pb that hopefully should rock.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you are in Ocean Beach, you are in for a treat at Hodad's. I learned about it on "Diners, Drive Ins & Dives" and when we saw it, we had to go in. The line moves fast & most seating is family style. I really loved the table inside of the front end of an old van...really quirkly. The burgers are huge but very well made. The onion rings were great but the milkshakes were amazing. So great, definitely put it on your list!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

It might be strange to begin a review about San Diego's best burgers by talking about the "Frings", but that basket combining French fries and onion rings is truly incredible. Whenever we visit San Diego our first stop is HoDads in Ocean Beach. We got off our Greyhound bus from LA and best friends, Smith amd Joanie picked us up and immediatey took us to HoDads where the wait was only about 20 minutes. The frenetic atmosphere and loud rock music is definitely worth the amazing burgers(I suggest splitting one), large basket of perfecty cooked fries and onion rings and of course a chocolate malt which all 4 of us split. This could be the only reason one needs to visit San Diego