“Delicious Pesto!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Godfather

Godfather
Ranked #285 of 4,726 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian, Delicatessen
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Diego, California
“Delicious Pesto!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I went to The Godfather restaurant a couple of nights ago and what a pleasant surprise! It is in an odd location, kind of hard to find however when you walk in it has a very "Italian feel" to it. It is very intimate and the service of the staff is wonderful. We had mozzarella and the homemade meatballs for an appetizer, the Bolognese sauce on the meatballs was absolutely delicious! The chardonnay went very well with our main course selections. I had the linguine pesto dish and my husband had the tortellini with alfredo. I am very picky about pasta and pesto sauce and you could tell it was homemade. The tiramisu is truly amazing and fluffy and of course the cannoli filling was creamy and smooth. Overall it was a great experience and we will back. It did take quite a long time (2 hours) for the entire meal/bill but then again what would a true Italian meal be without it being over 1.5 long!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Abs777

Chattanooga, Tennessee
“As good as any Italian on the East Coast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

I guess I don't think of San Diego for Italian food, but I was wrong. We were on vacation and our local friends took us there raving about how good it was. They understated. Excellent wine selection! Service was very personal. All 4 plates were brought out together, several waiters. Water and wine were topped off frequently. We couldn't have had better service. We had a Sea Bass appetizer which was perfectly prepared. The salads were also good. My wife and I split a veal saltiboca (sp), which was quite tasty. Deserts were excellent too, lighter than I am used to (good thing). Hard to go wrong here.

Apple Valley
“Delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is an italian food restaurant, small in size - but large on portion and taste. The atmosphere is mildy dark, but gives you a feel of a true 'mobster' style restaurant. The staff dresses in the mobster restaurant attire, very courtesy, very friendly and excellent on service. The food was to die for (seariously) and well portioned. Was not spicey for italian, came out fresh and tastey. Prices very reasonable. Would highly recommend.

Visited July 2012
Hickory
“A classic 50's Italian restaurant with class”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

This was my second visit to this restaurant in about 2 years. I enjoyed it the first time when I was taken there and I went back, also on business. The waiters wear tuxedos, they have live piano music, dark paneling and a peaceful, classy approach to eating that you wouldn't expect to find in this area of San Diego. It is really populated largely by locals who love it. Now I know why. The menu is classic Italian with antipasto, salads, minestrone soup (what else?), pastas, meat, and fish entrees and dessert. One of us had fish and the other veal. It started with a lovely free appetizer which was fried and coated zuccini chips that were delicious. We each had a couple of glasses of chianti. Super breads and salads. We were so stuffed we couldn't have dessert. A special little place tucked away in a rectangual small strip mall.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Terrance C
San Diego, California
“Old Time Service with Sicilian Charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

The food and service are always top rate at this restaurant. The owner and his staff take excellent care of you from start to finish. We have brought many people here over the years and the results are the same - great food and reasonably priced for what you get. We have also used their private banquet room on special occasions and again, excellent food and service. The attention to detail is superb and the daily specials will bring you back for more. Be sure and make reservations; even though this is a strip mall, it is always packed. You will be surprised once you enter the door and see the surroundings. Thank you Anthony!

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Stargateman

Been to Godfather? Share your experiences!