“Best restaurant manager ever”
Review of 94th Aero Squadron

94th Aero Squadron
Reserve with OpenTable
94th Aero Squadron is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #367 of 4,799 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ponderosa
Description: For over 30 years, one of San Diego's landmark dining destinations and one of the most unique and memorable restaurants you will ever find. Located inside a replica of a World War I French farmhouse decorated with fascinating military memorabilia, antiques, and aviation relics, the restaurant overlooks Montgomery Field Airport, and has a cozy and romantic ambiance, with large stone fireplaces intimate booths, and beautiful views. The extensive menu features mid-western aged beef and the freshest seafood. Here you will find USDA Choice & Prime Beef steaks, slow-roasted Angus prime rib, succulent lobster tail, fresh fish, rack of lamb, veal, chicken, pasta dishes, and fabulous desserts. Their famous Champagne Brunch is currently the #1 Sunday Brunch in the city on AOL's CityGuide poll and is not to be missed. Beautiful outdoor patios, a very popular Happy Hour, and excellent banquet facilities help make the 94th Aero Squadron one of the great dining experiences in all of San Diego.
phoenix
“Best restaurant manager ever”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My friend and I ate at this charming restaurant twice during a conference week at Spectrum Center. The decor and atmosphere are unique with both inside and patio seating. It was Restaurant Week when we were there which made our second visit a bit spotty. Salad came out wilted with very little dressing and service seemed sketchy. Manager Fred Olmsted came to our table several times to correct the issues and instantly bonded with my friend as they were both from Nebraska. He was attentive but not intrusive. Not only did he give us each a $20 gift card for our next visit, he surprised us with the most scrumptious apple crisp with ice cream and caramel sauce. Right off the farm in Nebraska, it was amazing. I will definitely be returning for more. Thank you, Fred.

Seattle
“Especially for fans of WW1 aviation”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I see that some reviewers had bad experiences but I can only speak for myself and my party of three and we had a great time. The food was fine: nothing spectacular but not bad at all. We ate the buffet selection and it was all good, nothing too greasy or cold. Service was prompt and friendly and our table comfortable and roomy enough. The main reason to eat here, however, is the décor. The entire place is tricked out like its name: it looks like a first world war aerodrome and the memorabilia on every inch of surface is in keeping. There are planes in the front and back yards and models and bits of planes all through the restaurant and bar. You can sit outdoors in the back which overlooks an active airfield. Pictures of most pilots a history buff would recognize are on every wall and the corners and halls, entry way and even the "latrines" entry are decorated to look like a French villa taken over by air corps. My group had a blast wandering around (it wasn't terribly crowded on a Friday at midday) just looking at things. As a restaurant, we found it solid. As a sort of theme park for adults, we loved it.

San Diego, California
“Great Food & A Unique Atmosphere”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We had some airplane aficionado friends visiting us so we finally got to go out an try 94th Aero Squadron. The food was great, the service was very friendly and attentive and the WWI airplane atmosphere was very cool. The headsets with chatter from the nearby airfield even kept the 3 year old with us entertained for the entire meal. I'm also partial to the Fokker plane out front since the Fokker company was founded by my grandfathers cousin! The restaurant is kind of unusually located in the midst of an industrial park but it's definitely worth visiting.

• Visited July 2013
San Diego, California
“A nice place for food and drink”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This place is rather unique, decorated with an aviation theme. It could use some remodeling and paint. The food was good and served hot. Service was average and the price was within reason for the area.

1 Thank Bill S
Summerville, South Carolina
“Worth the little "out of the way"”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The restaurant had a nice atmosphere and was not very noisy. If it's a nice evening, ask to eat outdoors. Our server was very personable and attentive.
It would be nice if they chilled the salads (we had the recommended greens with blue cheese). My steak was medium rather than medium rare, but I did not bring it to their attention so I really can't complain. Nice sized portions and sides. Wish they would have removed the almost empty soda glasses when they brought fresh ones.
The crème brulee was big enough for 3 of us to share