“Especially for fans of WW1 aviation”
Review of 94th Aero Squadron

94th Aero Squadron
Reserve with OpenTable
94th Aero Squadron is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #357 of 4,804 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ponderosa
Description: For over 30 years, one of San Diego's landmark dining destinations and one of the most unique and memorable restaurants you will ever find. Located inside a replica of a World War I French farmhouse decorated with fascinating military memorabilia, antiques, and aviation relics, the restaurant overlooks Montgomery Field Airport, and has a cozy and romantic ambiance, with large stone fireplaces intimate booths, and beautiful views. The extensive menu features mid-western aged beef and the freshest seafood. Here you will find USDA Choice & Prime Beef steaks, slow-roasted Angus prime rib, succulent lobster tail, fresh fish, rack of lamb, veal, chicken, pasta dishes, and fabulous desserts. Their famous Champagne Brunch is currently the #1 Sunday Brunch in the city on AOL's CityGuide poll and is not to be missed. Beautiful outdoor patios, a very popular Happy Hour, and excellent banquet facilities help make the 94th Aero Squadron one of the great dining experiences in all of San Diego.
Seattle
“Especially for fans of WW1 aviation”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I see that some reviewers had bad experiences but I can only speak for myself and my party of three and we had a great time. The food was fine: nothing spectacular but not bad at all. We ate the buffet selection and it was all good, nothing too greasy or cold. Service was prompt and friendly and our table comfortable and roomy enough. The main reason to eat here, however, is the décor. The entire place is tricked out like its name: it looks like a first world war aerodrome and the memorabilia on every inch of surface is in keeping. There are planes in the front and back yards and models and bits of planes all through the restaurant and bar. You can sit outdoors in the back which overlooks an active airfield. Pictures of most pilots a history buff would recognize are on every wall and the corners and halls, entry way and even the "latrines" entry are decorated to look like a French villa taken over by air corps. My group had a blast wandering around (it wasn't terribly crowded on a Friday at midday) just looking at things. As a restaurant, we found it solid. As a sort of theme park for adults, we loved it.

San Diego, California
“Great Food & A Unique Atmosphere”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We had some airplane aficionado friends visiting us so we finally got to go out an try 94th Aero Squadron. The food was great, the service was very friendly and attentive and the WWI airplane atmosphere was very cool. The headsets with chatter from the nearby airfield even kept the 3 year old with us entertained for the entire meal. I'm also partial to the Fokker plane out front since the Fokker company was founded by my grandfathers cousin! The restaurant is kind of unusually located in the midst of an industrial park but it's definitely worth visiting.

• Visited July 2013
San Diego, California
“A nice place for food and drink”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This place is rather unique, decorated with an aviation theme. It could use some remodeling and paint. The food was good and served hot. Service was average and the price was within reason for the area.

1 Thank Bill S
Summerville, South Carolina
“Worth the little "out of the way"”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The restaurant had a nice atmosphere and was not very noisy. If it's a nice evening, ask to eat outdoors. Our server was very personable and attentive.
It would be nice if they chilled the salads (we had the recommended greens with blue cheese). My steak was medium rather than medium rare, but I did not bring it to their attention so I really can't complain. Nice sized portions and sides. Wish they would have removed the almost empty soda glasses when they brought fresh ones.
The crème brulee was big enough for 3 of us to share

San Diego
“Sunday Brunch.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We used to frequent this place when we lived closer over 10 years ago. Perhaps my memory has softened with age or the place has gone down hill somewhat from what it used to be in terms of the food.

Price for the Sunday brunch is about $21 if you eat before 10am or $26 if you eat after 10am. Not a bad price considering you get bottomless champagne/mimosas.

Our waitress, Susan, was very nice, informative (nice tips about the buffett and what was good today), and attentive. No complaints at all with the service.

The ambience is cute - old WW1 (or 2?) items, sandbags on the walls, music piped in as you walk up to entrance. Really no complaints here. You can sit outside or inside. Since it was very warm we choose inside. Were seated right at reservation time.

Now the buffet area is a bit cramped and awkward to navigate, especially when there are a lot of people there. Findings the plates if you come from the "wrong" entrance is difficult as you have to circumvent around the people trying to get their food.

Food - this is where I felt a bit let down. The choices are OK. I thought the seafood was not of the best quality. The crab was very salty tasting and the shrimp tasted not fresh. Bit disappointment. On the plus side the fruit was very very good and tasty. There were I believe 4 meats that they were carving. My husband loved the roast beef. I tried the turkey and though the flavor was good, found it a bit dry. They do have a pretty good salad and bread/rolls selection. The omlette bar was OK, though nice they have egg beaters/egg whites or will cook an egg to order. Not impressed with the pasta station selection nor the fajitas.

The buffett line hot items - the potatoes were good and so was the rice pilaf. I thought the tequila chicken was horrible. The veggies were pretty good.

So overall - not exactly bad, but felt it could have been better.

• Visited August 2013