“Decent Seafood, but did not blow me away...”

The Oceanaire Seafood Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oceanaire Seafood Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 4,931 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 4th Street
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was my second visit to this restaurant. Went for a business dinner with a party of 12. We were seated right away. Overall, I thought this restaurant was good (similar to previous visit) but I was not blown away. I would have probably give it 3.75 star.
Service: Very good. Our waiter Scottie did a great job explaining things (we had a lot of first timers). He gave great advice on ordering (in regards to portion size) and selections. They were a tad slow on refills of water, but never wine.
Food: We started off with Oysters (kumamotos , Blackberry point, and Fanny Bay) and I really liked the Fanny Bays. Very fresh and delicious. Next was the shrimp and grits. The only other place that I have had that was in South Carolina. These were good and had nice flavor to them. The shrimps were good size. We also had the Crab cakes (lots of jumbo lumps) and those did not disappoint. For the main course, most elected for fish, while a few did get steaks. We had Donavan's the night before and most thought the steaks were good, but not better than Donavan's. Back to the fish, I was a tad disappointed that Sea Bass was not on the menu. Scottie suggested the Halibut and I decided to pair that with the Herb butter and sweet potato gnochi (you can have you fish done with most of the preparations on the menu). I was totally disappointed. The fish was good but was not cooked the way I had expected. I was hoping for more of a poached but got a broiled. Not completely the restaurants fault, I think I just ordered wrong. I did try my friend's Ahi tuna and that was really good. What really blew me away was the Brussel sprouts and Bacon. It was really really good. Had big chunks of bacon. I think it was my favorite thing of the night. We ended with Creme brulee, the baked alaskan, and chocolate mousse. They were all pretty good but not "fantastic".

I would really like to visit this place during happy hour and hang out by the oyster bar. I would probably come back only if I was invited. But there are so many other restaurants in S.D. that I would love to try.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went to Oceanaire for Valentine's Day, so our experience with pricing might not be typical. That said, a five course meal was $85.00 per person, or $125.00 with wine pairings.

The food was exquisite - small portions, but beautifully prepared and presented, astoundingly fresh, and had some pleasant continuity between courses. I was less thrilled with the wine pairings - particularly the miserly pours - but I assign that to my particular palate.

The service and staging of the meal could not have been better.

I'm normally one who avoids chain restaurants - this is part of the Landry's empire - but my tendency would have deprived me of an excellent meal. Just bring lots of cash, or expect to have a moment of regret when the credit card statement arrives!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a well established Gaslight District favorite. The service was impeccable and the food was very good. The portions are very large..but save room for dessert.... they have good ones!!!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I really don't like seafood all that much but my company took us this place. First of all let me say they took the party of 25 people with out a reservation. They had servers that were very knowledgeable, quick and witty. I had the kid dynamite which had awesome taste to it. All there fish was brought fresh daily so everyday is a new menu of sorts.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had a fabulous meal at the Oceanaire. It's not cheap but the quality, service and ambiance made it worthwhile. The food is very good quality and our waiter was friendly and knowledgeable. Would definitely return