“best value in San Diego area”

Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo
Ranked #53 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Providence, Rhode Island
“best value in San Diego area”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Excellent staff continuously looking to exceed your expectations. Restaurant staff is there to make sure your service and food experience is better than you expected. Great friendly and clean place to stay in the San Diego area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We are your biggest fan! Come back and see us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
Irvine, Ca.
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel is adequate. As noted in previous posts, the rooms and hallways are dated. The bathroom door closes automatically. Noise from other guests in the hallways seems loud.

We got the room for ~33% discount thru Priceline Express for a one night / Saturday night stay.
When we checked in, the place was empty. When we left early Sunday morning, it was still relatively empty (plenty of room in the parking lot).

All hotels have less than desirable / incurably defective rooms that go to the discount clientele. In this case, we got room 105, which overlooks the garage entrance and 15 Fwy. The garage gate gives off a highly detectable rumble all thru the night as cars enter and exit. If you were looking to sleep in before the Charger game, Fa-gad-abad-it. The Freeway noise is also evident.

If you are like me and get stuck with this hotel thru Hotwire or Priceline Express, try to stipulate a room away from the Freeway and the Garage entrance when checking in.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank IrvineCal
Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
We would love to be able to have the chance to make sure your next stay is extraordinary and memorable! Our guests are the most important part of our hotel, and we work tirelessly to guarantee their complete satisfaction. On the behalf of our entire staff, I would like to invite you back. Please let us know the next time you will be in the area and we will make sure we take better care of you!
Wayzata, MN
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Previously stayed at the close-by Radisson property and was disappointed in the highly dated rooms. Thought I'd try Hilton Garden Inn on the other side of the freeway for something different. The hotel is located in a nice, retail/business complex with lots of stores and restaurants close-by. Nicely remodeled lobby with cozy bar area and fireplace. Breakfast was excellent with a cook-to-order omelet/eggs station and other hot and cold foods. Business center printer and PC worked fine for printing my boarding pass. Room seemed just OK; I've seen better at HGI properties. It seemed like a lot of the original fixtures/furniture were there even though the rooms were supposedly recently refurbished. The bathroom door was really scratched up inside and out, no doubt due to the fact that it is spring-loaded to always shut. This was quite annoying so I put a towel under the door to keep it open while in the room.

Would I stay there again? Maybe. However, it lacked just enough polish in the rooms themselves that I might be tempted to again try something else in the area on my next visit to the area.

Room Tip: My room looked right into the apartment building next door. Might ask to have a bit more privacy.
1 Thank mrfargo2
Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Auburn, California
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the end of November! We had a little trouble finding you in the dark, but it was ultimately worth it. First of all, I don't think you can beat the price and quality of the breakfast buffet! We ate a small breakfast elsewhere our first morning there, and realized by the time you pay for your coffee, tea, orange juice, etc. it's really less expensive to enjoy the QUALITY buffet you offer for such a reasonable price. Great staff; they came right away to adjust our refrigerator, and were all friendly. No, we didn't like that the bathroom door had to stay closed, and if you won't tell OSHA we propped it partly open with a shoe so we could see at night. That little bit of light would also have allowed us to get out more quickly in case of emergency. We're coming back to stay with you in February. Any specials you can offer us? Oh yes, a plug for your sister Hilton El Conquistador in Tucson, where I stayed in early November. They, too, were great! Looking forward to being in your care on February 15!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jo An L
Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! Your words and acknowledgments are what drive us! We hope to see you again soon!
Tucson
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Maybe I'm just spoiled from where I recently was on business travel (Palmdale Embassy Suites), but this hotel is simply adequate. I was sent down here on business and I didn't have to pay for it, but I'm not sure the value is worth it. Unlike the Embassy Suites in Palmdale, which I'm returning to tomorrow, they provide "coupons" that are redeemed for breakfast. I can't comment on the breakfast because I've had to work too early to utilize. The decor needs updating, but the biggest issue I found with my room in specific is that the bathroom door remains closed. They have a sticker on the door saying it is an "OSHA" requirement, maybe it is, but it sure is annoying that in the middle of the night when you have to use the bathroom, you have to "open" a door.

Everyone I've dealt with from front desk to housekeeping was extremely nice. I do however, give the hotel a 3 star (instead of or 2.5) because I honestly feel I may be influenced by the hotel I just left and will be returning to tomorrow.

1 Thank DesertFlyer
Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your honest input and we will be eager to provide any assistance needed to make your next stay as comfortable as possible. We know that you have many other lodging choices available when you travel to San Diego and we appreciate that you chose to stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again!
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at Hilton Garden Inn Rancho Bernardo 3-6 Dec for a business trip to San Diego. The breakfast buffet was great, with a chef cooking made to order omelets. Parking is offered around the property and a covered and secured (access only by your room key) parking garage. This property has a nice lounge and bar. Desk and housekeeping staff are very responsive to any questions or concerns you may have.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for your WONDERFUL feedback, we greatly appreciate your business! We take great pride in providing outstanding service and taking care of all of our guests. We are here for you!!!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 7, 2013

This is a typical, nice Hilton Garden Inn. The rooms are comfortable, the staff is always friendly. This property is pretty - but there is nothing totally extraordinary here. I had a nice visit. I have been here before and will return again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Joe D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo, responded to this review, December 9, 2013