“Worst meal and service I have ever had.”
Review of El Fandango Restaurant - CLOSED

El Fandango Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I visited the Old Town on July 4th and went here for lunch. Place didn't seem too busy but staff were obviously not coping. Eventually someone took our order and brought our drinks. Waited ages and eventually were given a plate of nachos and salsa and a complimentary beer for my husband - nothing for me. After about 35 min meal arrived. Mine was so disgusting I couldn't eat it - the chicken in the buritto looked as it had been around from when the first settlers arrived, my husbands food was tasteless although he ate it due to the long wait he was starving. When the bill arrived they had charged for the complimentary beer... Would not recommend anyone to eat here.

1  Thank AllyL

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Wait staff was very polite - food was great! If you don't like really hot salsa, avoid theirs. It was good, but it trended toward mouth-burning/numbing (drink LOTS of water). Highly recommended.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We came to San Diego to visit some friends who wanted us to try "authentic" Mexican food and brought us here. I can't say if it was truly "authentic" but it was different than other Mexican places I have been to. The service was a little slow, and it's hard to have a conversation with the others at your table when the musicians keep coming over to play at your table. I have no complaints about the food, and everyone I was with seemed to like theirs as well. This is nothing to write home about, but is not bad.

2  Thank Carol A
Reviewed June 15, 2013

As my family and I sat down I started to read the reviews on Trip Advisor. I thought to myself should I leave!! I decided to take a chance and hopefully the reviews before me may have been over exaggerated. I ordered the combo with the beef taco, enchilada, chili relllano and rice and beans. I believe combo #5. Let me start with the beef taco. This was a how can I put this.... It was a warmed up corn tortilla with shredded beef. Normally I would be expecting a fried taco. But as I bit in to it loads of juice came out of it. Drip and more drips. I guess it wouldn't have been to bad except the beef was flavorless like if had been sitting in a pot water. The chili rellano was ok. The enchilada well I know that everyone prepares there's different, but what tripped me out that I flipped over the enchilada and it was completely dry of any sauce . The beans where tasty. The rice was dry. The price point is kind of what makes me think that a little more effort. I have numerous taco stands located all around me that have that same combo for around $8.00 opposed to $13.00. One thing about these mom and pops stands is they do a low price point but more volume and the quality is better do to being able to watch them cook your food. I give this restaurant an average. I'm not a chef nor a food critic. I hope that my review may help not only the consumer but also the establishment .

1  Thank BEN M
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Before going to SD- I really thought Old Town was a must see. It wasn't. If you are well traveled you will instantly recognize this place for what it is- a tourist trap. While some of the restaurants in the area have very cute patios/old time charm, the food just isn't up to snuff if you have eaten great Mexican before. Might be a good place if you are close, or for happy hour, but for foodies- just skip these restaurants.

2  Thank Rabbott1