“Bland, tasteless Mexican food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of El Fandango Restaurant - CLOSED

El Fandango Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Old Town
Illinois
“Bland, tasteless Mexican food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We ate here today and I wish I had checked some reviews before doing so. We ate right at the noon hour and I know it was a Monday, but this place was dead. We were the only ones in the restaurant and after getting our food I can see why. My husband had the taco and relleno combo and I had the special of the day, taco and cheese enchilada. There's no way the food could have been freshly prepared as we had our food in under three minutes. It would have taken longer than that to bread and fry the relleno and assemble the tacos. Anyway, the food was bland, no flavor and although hot, from the microwave I'm guessing, just very disappointing. The worst Mexican food I have eaten. I have had way better food at some of the local chain restaurants.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Vickie50

Warwick, Rhode Island
“Inexperienced Server, Poor Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Touring Old Town on a quiet Monday, we weren't surprised to see only one other party in the restaurant at 12:30. Perhaps that was a signal we shouldn't have overlooked.

Service was terrible. In fairness, it did appear that our server was "filling in" as he was dressed more like a bus person than a waiter and seemed unsure of himself in many aspects of service. About half way through our stay another server appeared in a more "fancy" uniform and took care of newly arriving guests. Perhaps he could have guided our person, but he didn't.

Food was simply not good. We both had combo plates with rice and beans, enchiladas and beef tacos. Our server came back twice to recheck as to what combo plate we ordered. Maybe he was trying to tell us something? In any case, neither of us liked the food.

We had a discount coupon and when we received the bill it was impossible to read or understand with all the miscalculations and recalculations and cross-outs. The server tried to explain it, but I couldn't understand it. It looked "in the ballpark" so I said okay. While processing our credit card he came back to say the figure had changed once again.

Throughout the whole process, our server was constantly apologetic and tried very hard to please and was quick to tell us when he made a mistake. I felt bad for him, Again, he looked and acted like an inexperienced person filling in. If so, shame on both the manager on duty (and the experienced waiter who later arrived) for not pitching in to help. Inexcusable.

1 Thank Skipper300
Tigard, Oregon
“DISAPPOINTING”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Have eaten here on other occasions but this time we were disappointed. Meals took an inordinate amount of time to arrive at the table, particularly since they were not busy. Had the salmon, which was good, but the veggies were overcooked and the rice was ordinary. Wife had the fajitas, which she said were average. Service was haphazard. Will choose somewhere else the next time we visit.

1 Thank HARRY M
New York City, New York
“Overpriced run of the mill Mexican food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Just your standard Mexican food. Highlight was the table side Guac. Way overpriced for what they serve you.

New York City, New York
“I liked it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

El Fandango is within a stone's throw of the Cosmopolitan where I was staying. I will admit to being lured into El Fandango the first time with the 15% off coupon, but the second time I told them to keep the coupon because I would eat there anyhow. Both meals I ate there were lunch, and both experiences were very good. The staff were attentive and nice. I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. I had the combination plate that had a cheese enchilada, chili relleno, and a soft beef taco. I think it was less than $11, which is reasonable where I come from. The salsa was excellent. It's not the kind of place that is so unusual and outstanding you'd write home about it. El Fandango serves good food in a comfortable atmosphere for a reasonable price, and that deserves at least 4 stars in my book.

• Visited December 2012