“The service we recieved afterwards was horrible and rude.”

Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World
Ranked #123 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 8, 2010

My daughter and I stayed at Howard Johnsons for MCRD graduation. We stayed here 2 years ago so knew the area and what we were getting for our money. The problem came when one of the hotel staff in the cleaning dept. broke our computer. We had left the computer on the bed and went to graduation. I know it was on the bed because my daughter who goes to college was finishing a paper and saved her info and closed the computer and said she would finish it when we got back. However, when we got back to the room it was in the floor. With all the excitement of being with my newly graduated Marine I didn't look at the computer for the rest of that day. The next morning my son said, "Mom whats wrong with the computer and I said nothing why? he said it wouldn't turn on. I replied the battery is just dead, we will charge it at the airport as we were checking out that day. When we arrived at the airport I noticed it had been dropped and broken. I called the manager and she informed me she was going out of town on a business trip at that moment but would get in touch with her housekeeping staff and call me back later in the week. That week came and went with no phone call from her. I called back Monday only to be told she was busy but I could leave a message and she would call me back. I left my message with no return yet again. I have called twice since then and have yet to speak to anyone concerning my computer. I can't believe a hotel manager would be so rude and unprofessional.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank staceyxoxos

Reviewed October 8, 2010

Everything was very good, room, breakfast, services. We'll say 100% if the wireless internet service was stable.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2010

This hotel was perfect! It was centrally located (close to the Airport, SeaWorld, Old Town, and Downtown) and it really impressed me. It was very clean, the rooms were big, the rooms had better than average amenities (included a refrigerator). A pool, free wifi, continental breakfast, and was very reasonably priced! I definitely recommend this place. Next time I am in San Diego I will stay here!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2010

October 5, 2010

It was our very first time in San Diego, and Jessica the General Mgr. couldn't have been "more" helpful from booking our stay from 9/21/10 - 9/28/10. Jessica made it so easy to want to stay there.

Once we were there it was more of the same from Leesa right down to all the front desk staff who were polite, courteous and went out of their way to answer all our questions from directions to different places as well as making recommendations on great places to eat; and offering coupons to venues in the area.

There was plenty to do around that "general" area; food, beaches, Old Town, shopping and much more.

The room was very comfortable; and the staff cleaning the room each day were awesome; they did "exactly" as we wanted them to do and quite efficiently... Kudos to the "Howard Johnson's Sea World/Airport" and ALL the great staff there. "Keep up the great work and excellent service....

'WE'D STAY AT THAT HOTEL AND LOCATION AGAIN.....Thanks one and all.

Ed & Karen.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Rooms were clean with nice free breakfast included. Fridge, microwave and safe in room. 10-15 minute walk to Old Town bus/train station where you can get anywhere. Ask for a room upstairs as less foot traffic noise. Lage carpark with two entrances/exits. Mexican restaurant on site was tasty. PC in reception to use with ability to print tickets off etc was nice feature.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Comfortable hotel, small pool, pool towels very rough and not well stocked. Provide you with well written directions to attractions at time of registration. In room safe would not work, charged for no matter what. Small drawers for unpacking if staying for extended stay. Internet service would nnot work any either room.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
HojoGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2010

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Howard Johnson SeaWorld. We are happy to know that the directions we provide our guests was useful to your visit.
We apologize for the safe not working. If we know it doesnt work then we typically have maintenance work on it. If it's an issue of not being able to fix it while you are here, we don't charge the safe fee. But we hope to provide everyone a working safe.
We did have an issue with our internet. For this reason, we have the internet techs here for a few days working on it. We added extra access points to assure that each room can pick up the signal.
Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 18, 2010

Stayed here for a few nights. Pricing is good for the location, and there are a number of restaurant options nearby. Breakfast was VERY basic (even for a Continental), with hard-boiled eggs only being offered every OTHER day. They do have the waffles every day though, so I'll cut them a little slack!

As a few other posts have noted, the walls are pretty thin, so you may want to remember to bring your earplugs.

This hotel is a good option for people flying in, with the intent of Seaworld being their main excursion. If you have any other destinations in mind, or you have driven to San Diego in a vehicle, I would recommend staying in a different hotel, and saving yourself a few bucks. I saw one of the other Howard Johnsons in San Diego advertised for significantly less than this one (about an 8 min drive away)!

WiFi at this location could use some upgrading and consistency also.....very intermittent.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family