“Good for Asians!!”

Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World
Ranked #122 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 11, 2009

My best friend just graduated from the Marines and we stayed at this one from Wednesay to saturday. I thought I was in Asian Heaven! The bed was more comfortable that my one at home and there is lots of great Thai food in the neighborhood of it. The staff was increadible, the night person (randy?) was really nice because I made him come open our room and change key and stuff like ten times and he always said 'no trouble at all' hehe. if I ever go to California again I will stay at this one just because of that! The breakfast waffles were good too but I only had it once. Very close to trollys and lots of stuff to see. I will remember my trip to here forever!!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
HojoGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2009

I am so happy that you enjoyed your time here. I think the beds are comfy too. I ordered one for myself when we bought them for the hotel and I definitely enjoy my sleep. ;-)

And I do agree that the Thai food is yummy in the area. I actually had some for lunch today from right across the street.

Thanks so much for taking your time to write this comment and we are looking forward to you coming back to stay wityh us!

And I will pass on the message to Randy.
Come back soon!

Reviewed November 30, 2008

Our stay at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego was great. The room was clean and quiet, and the bed was comfortable. Not much more to say about the room, really. And our interaction with the staff was limited to check-in and check-out, and at that, both staffers we dealt with were friendly. We only stayed the night, but were definitely satisfied with our stay. Conveniently located near the highway, the hotel is near plenty of food establisments, including a mexican restaurant that offers deals to hotel guests, a bagel joint across the street, as well as a Chipotle and In-N-Out Burger within walking distance. Sea World and downtown San Diego are also nearby. If you're just looking for a nice place to hang your hat for the night, this is it.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank lewzealand
HoJoSanDiego, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2009

Thank you for taking some time out of your day to write this review. We hope you come back soon!

Reviewed November 13, 2008

I booked this hotel on Priceline, so, of course, obviously I wasn't that picky about where I stayed. Got the room for $40, plus tax.

I arrived at about 2 am, and asked at check-in for two beds. The guy said OK and gave me the keys to room 244. I was exhausted, so I didn't go back to argue when I walked into a room with only one king size bed.

At 7:30 or 8 am or whenever it was, though, I woke up suddenly to someone entering my room. Luckily, I had secured the top latch, but it turns out the lock didn't work at all. The automatic electronic lock was completely out of order -- just turn the knob and you're inside!

I went to the front office to complain, and was told that the "manager on duty (Jessica)" wasn't there yet. (So how was she "on duty," I wondered to myself.) She did call me back at around 10 am, and I explained the situation. Regarding the one bed for me & my friend, she said that Priceline automatically books you into the cheapest room. OK, fine, but couldn't the guy at the check-in counter have told me that? Secondly, she apologized for the inconvenience about the lock. I guess I didn't expect anything, like an offer for a free night in the future or anything like that, but "I apologize for the inconvenience" seemed a little weak to me.

The other comments about the walls being thin are true, too. I head a baby crying many times throughout the night in the room next to ours. I guess if I stayed there again -- and the room was nice, to be honest -- I would really, really check to make sure the room was safe.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank VegasKureigu

Thank you for taking the time of your day to write this review. We aplogize for the trouble you had while you were here. Please know that the issue with the lock was a unexpected and unique experience. We do want all guests to feel secure while staying with us.

Reviewed November 11, 2008

A couple of family members and I were in town for my brother's graduation from MCRD San Diego, and stayed a few days after to take in some sights, etc.

This was quite possibly the nicest chain-type hotel that I've stayed in before. It was very clean, and the staff was not only friendly, but helped out as much as they possibly could. It was late when we checked-in, but the night clerk, Randy, made sure that we got on the list for the shuttle to MCRD for Family & Graduation Day. The area the hotel is located in is decent, and surprisingly quiet. There are all kinds of fast food, clothing stores, etc. within walking distance. Mission Beach, Ocean Beach & Belmont Park are approx. 10 min. drive, too.

There's a computer for guest use in the lobby with a 15 min. time limit, if someone else is waiting to use it. They offer a self-serve breakfast with some of the items offered being muffins, breads for toast, dry cereal, milk, coffee, orange juice, DIY waffles, and fruit.

I will definitely stay here again, if in San Diego.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank moni0121

Thank you for your review. We do feel honored to host the families of the MCRD graduation so congratulations on your Marine. I am happy that my staff was able to take good care of your family and that you enjoyed our hotel.

Reviewed October 8, 2008

My family and I reserved our rooms because of the close proximity to MCRD. After reading some of the reviews we were a little skeptical and were worried about our choice, but, because of the shuttle service we took our chances. I was very very pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness and overall comfortablenes of our room. The beds were pillow top mattresses and very comfortable. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful to us. They took the time to help us figure out the bus systems and answered all our questions. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area and especially to those there for the Marine graduation ceremonies.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ArkyViv
HojoGM, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2008

Thank you for taking time to write this review. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay. We really enjoy hosting the familes of the Marine Corp graduations.

Than you again,
Jessica

Reviewed September 29, 2008

As a family of four we could not have chosen a better place to stay in San Diego.
It is close to all the major attractions ( e.g. Sea World, Zoo, Legoland etc) and is perfectly located across the roads from shops that include chemists, supermarkets and food centres.

The rooms are very good. Comfortable beds, coffee-maker, safe and a shower that works well. Noise was not a problem on the second floor.
The free breakfast was great - toast, juice, muffins, coffee and even a waffle-maker for those who are into them! ( As an Aussie I am not sure about it for breakfast!!!!!)
Found all staff to be extremely helpful - in particular Shane was full of useful information at the desk.
They have a deal with Sizzler across the road where you receive a 15% discount.
The kids loved the food so we went there four nights in a row!! (Yes, I know we need to get a life!!!) The hotel also has a mexican restaurant that looked lovely, but I didn't get a chance to check it out.
They did have the two best waitresses in the world - Paola and Fantasia. (If you go there please say hi for me!)
The hotel also provided access to a computer which had internet access in the foyer which was great to check up on e-mails or find directions.
The free shuttle service to someof the attractions was also great. Ontime and right where they said they would be.
I would have no hesitation in staying there again when visiting San Diego.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank aussie1Sydney

Thank you for the review. I am happy that we were able to take great care of you and your family. I will definitely thank Shane and be sure that the next time I am at Sizzlers, say hi to your favorite waitresses.

Reviewed June 27, 2008