“Not bad”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Not bad”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was the last stop on our honeymoon tour of california. It was roasting in san diego (40 degrees C) and after a long drive from Vegas we need to freshen up. Found the hotel fine, checked in in 5 mins and were in our room in no time. Air con was cold! room was spacious and bathroom was fine. The hotel is within walking distance of Old town (15 mins) and also there is the trolley station there where you can get to the Gaslamp Quarter for $5 a day. Not the best area so wouldnt walk it at night due to the amount of homeless and meth addicts that hang around but felt perfectly safe during the day. The breakfast was disappointing, It was so crowded as the breakfast room is smaller than my living room. There are plenty of places to eat over the road (starbucks, a nice bagel place).

A tip for all travellers to San Diego who are under 35. Take your passport out with you as a valid ID for buying alcohol. San Diego is the only place we encountered in the US who didnt accept our UK driving licences as ID. Which resulted in a taxi ride back to the hotel to get them which was mildly annoying!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
JasonSD12, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego Near SeaWorld. We are happy to hear that the room was "spacious." We apologize for any inconveniences that you may have run to during your stay. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you during your next visit to San Diego. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
EVELETH
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Service was good but a little disappointed with the airport shuttle. It is limited times so not very convenient since we flew in early evening. Location was close to shopping mall but not convenient to tourist areas. Room was nice size but would be convenient for hair dryer and possibly another sink outside of shower area. Breakfast was good and waffles did give it variety. Could have used another shuttle or larger shuttle since time allowed to travel & drop off was not long enough.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Wausau, WI
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This hotel was in great shape, with nicely decorated rooms and comfortable beds.

There were only a few small problems. My biggest complaint is that checking in took forever...actually, about 30-40 minutes. There was one staff person on duty on Saturday evening. There were about four people checking in ahead of me. I did not expect to wait that long to get into my room!

On Saturday, the breakfast was very crowded and there wasn't much food left.

I needed to use the hotel printer to print out boarding passes. The hotel was having trouble with their Internet reception. The young man on duty that Sunday night tried very hard to make things work, and finally managed to hook up my lap top computer to the hotel printer so that I could print out the boarding passes.

The pool was small but clean, comfortable and very pleasant.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Check in staff was poor. Check in took a very long time and seemed very inefficient. The evening staff on Sunday was great. Check out was also very efficient.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

JasonSD12, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego Near SeaWorld. Thank you for bringing up your concerns with our hotel as it is invaluable to us. Guests like you only make our job easier to address the items immediately that way similiar situation will not happen in the future. We are very happy to hear that we are a "nice hotel!" We strive to work hard in providing well maintained rooms and are glad that you took notice. Thank you again for reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego Near SeaWorld. We hope to see you during your next visit to San Diego. Thank you!
CALEXICO
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Every thing both leaving SanDieago and returning was very smooth. No complaints and no suggestions. We'd stay again and also reccomend it to our friends. Did not use the breakfast option or the fitness facility. Too tired

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego SeaWorld. We appreciate such kind words and for staying with us as well. Thank you for the recommendation and we hope to see you during your next visit.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I think most people are talking out of there bums! This is a clean, cheap hotel . It's not five star but much cheaper, for a few day break it's fine, pool and free wifi, staff were very friendly, Ask for a upper floor if so .

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego Near SeaWorld. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We are also delighted to hear that our staff were "very friendly." We strive to work hard in providing exceptional quality service and are glad you took notice. Thank you again for reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego Near SeaWorld and for all the kind words. We hope to see you during your next visit to San Diego. Go happy, go hojo :)
saint ignace, michigan
Reviewed September 6, 2012

First I would not recommend this hotel to anyone- even though it is close to MCRD, there are other hotels much nicer for no more or less money. The first thing that happened after arriving is that the room I had smelled terrible. Like an old smoking room that had never been cleaned. I had to be asked to move- then I realized there was no place within close walking distance to eat. And this area is not safe to walk around at. Especially at night. The new room was Ok but I was not impressed at all and I wished I could have immediately left.
They say they have a restaurant on the property, but it is not good at all and it serves Mexican foods primarily.
The staff were always nice and helpful- I showed them the letter I had stating that I would get a 25% discount for being an MCRD traveler, and they said yes to that. Upon check out they did not give me the discount although they kept showing me they did. It cost about 500.00 for 4 nights.
Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere- anywhere else would be better!! If you go to SD for graduation, stay at a place listed on the brochure the Marine Corp sends you!!!!

Room Tip: Some people liked the rooms and their stay. I would ask to see the room before you settle in- I wou...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Very nice. Small pool but nice to sit at after a busy day.beds were comfortable air was cold. Food was good. Appreciated the shuttle to and from airport and MCRD. Bus stops very close to get u anywhere. I had no problems checking in, we had adjoining rooms for the girls which was nice. I was witness to another gentleman trying to check in. The lady behind the desk was doing everything she could to find his reservation. She handled herself well under pressure. She did find his reservation. Drug store a block down so we were able to get snacks and drinks they have a nice size refrigerator and microwave. I appreciated the in room safe. We had a good stay no problems, even the planes taking off weren't a bother we had the air on. I did notice when we had the tv on and I went next door I could hear it.but we had it a bit loud to hear over the air. I would recommend this place for MCRD it's very close and the shuttle leaves early enough to give plenty of time to go through security. Remember to sign up the day before.on return it's first come first serve..

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank triptakerMichigan
JasonSD12, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego Near SeaWorld. First of all, I would like to congratulate you on your graduating marine! We love taking care of the families with of a graduating marine. We appreciate you staying with us and taking notice of all of our amenities that we offer at our property. We strive to work had in providing exceptional quality service and are glad that you took advantage of them. Thank you again for reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego. We hope to see you during your next visit to San Diego. Thank you!