“Good Experience”

Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World
Ranked #123 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This is a nice clean hotel. It is located near lots of restaurants and shopping. Starbucks across the street, was a bonus! It offered a comp contential breakfast that had not much to offer. The waffles were not good, and only other choice of yogurt. We loved the restaurant attached to the Inn. Tio Carols mexican food was great. It is close to Sea World, and close to the highway to get to most places.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
JasonSD12, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego near SeaWorld. We are so happy to hear that you had a “good experience” at our property. As you mentioned, we are located very near to restaurants and shopping centers and are glad that you took advantage of that. We are also happy to hear that you were able to visit Tio Carlo’s Mexican Restaurant. We strive to work hard in providing a well maintained hotel and are glad that you took notice. Thank you again for reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego near SeaWorld and letting other travelers know about your stay. Go happy, go hojo :)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,220)

Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hotel is too near of the airport, so it is difficult to sleep before 11.30 pm and in the morning after 6 pm.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Stayed at this hotel 21/06/12 to the 24/06/12, the hotel itself is clean and looks ok but they put us (wife,2yr old Daughter and myself) at the side of the hotel which at first seemed fine but as time went on we felt very vulnerable and unsafe, the area itself did not look the best at night and we made the decision to not walk out to any of the local restaurants at night. At night our neighbours were coming and going throughout the early hours and on the last night a lot of screaming and arguing woke us and kept us awake all night. Overall we would not recommend this hotel to any one on holiday, about a mile or two down the road was a marina area that looked a lot better and the type of area you would feel ok to wander out in the evening for a meal with your family. Very disappointed with the whole experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel, and taken advantage of their park, ride and fly program.
I cannot think of anything negative to say about this property except, perhaps, that it borders on a questionable neighborhood. But on the other hand it is centerllylocated, easy off ramp from the 8 freeway and a couple of blocks in the other direction you will find nice neighborhoods.
The staff was very helpful, courteous and friendly. Couldn't have asked for more. The room was exceptionally clean and I found my upstairs location to be quiet. I received my wake up call, as requested.
Missed the breakfast this year, as my flight was too early, but two years ago I enjoyed the breakfast immensly. They had everything one could want for breakfast, and free.
I highly recommend this hotel; expecially if you need to park your car and need a shuttle to the airport.
A great value.

Room Tip: Just ask at the desk. They will probably accomodate your wish's.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
JasonSD12, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego. We appreciate your continuous loyalty to our property. As you mentioned, we are centrally located nearest San Diego’s famous attractions, as well as to the airport, and major freeways and are glad that you took advantage of that. We are also happy to hear that our “staff was very helpful, courteous and friendly.” We strive to work hard in providing exceptional quality service and are happy that you took notice. Thank you again for reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego and recommending it to other travelers. We hope to see you during your next visit to San Diego. Thank you. Go happy, go hojo :)

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Very simple and clean, nothing fancy but offers good value and staff very helpful and friendly.
I was fortunate to check in so late and still find a king bed! Love that microwave/fridge! My first night the automated wake-up call did not work and I overslept. The breakfast is very scant and the only hot item is making your own waffle. They need to offer scrambled eggs and bacon or sausage. The room full of tables/chairs leading into the breakfast area tends to smell and need to freshen it up. They should offer local fitness center for guests staying for extended periods.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
JasonSD12, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego SeaWorld. We are very glad to hear that our property is “great for the price!” We also are delighted to hear that we offer good value and that our staff is very helpful and friendly. We strive to work hard in providing exceptional quality service and are glad that you took notice. We appreciate you bringing up your concerns about our hotel. Guests like you only make our job easier to address the items that need to be fixed immediately. Thank you again for reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego SeaWorld and letting other travelers know about your stay. We hope to see you during your next visit to San Diego. Go happy, go hojo :)

Reviewed June 7, 2012

I travel a lot and sometimes stay in hotels for weeks at a time. My stay at this hotel was nearly six weeks. First the high points. The staff was very friendly and responsive to my needs. Ruby and Randy were my favorites. The bed was very comfortable and the housekeeping staff kept the room clean.

On the downside: while the front desk staff was responsive to my needs, when it came to getting things fixed I had to be persistent. There were two issues that needed attention; one was an outlet near the sink in the bathroom that didn't work. The other was the heater/AC unit was supposedly controlled by a wall thermostat. At least that's what the sticker on the locked cover over the controls said. I looked high and low, but there was no thermostat.

When I called the front desk to complain about the problems, the first thing I was asked was if I wanted a different room. No, I don't want a different room. I've already unpacked and what to say that the next room won't have any problems. The offer of another room should be that last option if the problems are severe enough.

All I wanted them to do was unlock the cover of the heater/AC unit and replace the non-working outlet. These are simple fixes that any semi-competent handyman can do. Well, it took two days to get the AC unit unlocked and over a week to get the outlet fixed. Fortunately, San Diego has a very mild climate and there were other outlets for me to plug my electric toothbrush into.

Once the problems with maintenance were worked out, then the stay was acceptable. Like I said before, I travel a lot and I've stayed in better hotels and others that were not as nice.

Room Tip: There's a lot of WiFi interference; ask for room close to an access point.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Marc G
JasonSD12, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego Sea World, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego SeaWorld. We are so delighted to hear that the staff was “very friendly and responsive” to your needs. We are also appreciative of you bringing up your concerns with our property. Guests like you only make our job easier to address the items immediately, that way our future guests won’t run into similar problems as well. We hope that the rest of your stay was pleasant, because we do take pride in providing well maintained rooms and exceptional service, and we are glad that Randy and Ruby were no exception. Thank you again for reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego. We hope that we see you during your future visits. Go happy, go hojo!

Reviewed June 4, 2012

Having never been to San Diego, I relied heavily on reviews to choose a hotel. We wanted clean & safe near attractions and this place is just that. It's just minutes from the airport, Sea World, the zoo & the harbor. Free continental breakfast (get there early) with yummy freshly made waffles. I loved that they had a computer and printer set up for guests which we used to print our Sea World tickets. The pool is pretty small, but clean. Across the way is a shopping area with a Starbucks (yes!) a few places to eat, a CVS, etc. We bought water at CVS to stock our in room fridge which was super cold. The A/C worked great, the beds were comfy, we had no trouble getting hot water and there was plenty of parking. The Mexican restaurant next door was yummy and we got free appetizer coupons upon check in. Check in & out was seamless.

We did have a problem our first night with extremely noisy neighbors. We were exhausted since our flight was delayed 3 hours and we were still on NY time. The noise was incredible, even for my 9 year old son who can sleep thru a bomb. I had to call the desk twice because we just couldn't sleep and it was almost 3am. We didn’t hear anything after the second call and thank goodness they were gone the next day. Otherwise, aside from hearing a door close here and there it was pretty quiet. All in all I was pleased with this hotel and we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Request second floor. Get to breakfast early.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego SeaWorld. We are so delighted to hear that our hotel was “clean,” and had “friendly staff.” We are fortunate to be near our famous attractions, such as SeaWorld, the zoo, and the harbor, and are glad that you took advantage of that. Not only are we located nearby these attractions, we are located close to many restaurants and shops also, like you mentioned. At our property, we offer a continental deluxe breakfast with Make Your Own Waffles and are glad that you took advantage of that as well. We appreciate all the positive feedback and can’t thank you enough. We do apologize for the problem during the beginning of your stay and hope that it was fixed immediately. Thank you again for reviewing the Howard Johnson San Diego SeaWorld and letting other travelers know about your experience. We look forward to seeing you in the future. Go happy, go hojo :)