“Great Location, ‘fab roof top bar’”

San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #76 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Great Location, ‘fab roof top bar’”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2007

The hotel is in a really good location, a couple of minutes walk from the trendy gas lamp quarter. The roof top bar is excellent with fab views over the ball park and Marina. The gym is located on the roof and has a good range of equipment and individual TVs next to the cardio machines. Our room was of a really high standard and had good views of the marina. All in all a good quality 4 star hotel and I would definitely recommend if you are staying in San Diego especially if there is a baseball game going on (although it may be difficult to get a reservation.)

• Liked — Roof top bar
  • Disliked — Small lobby area
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
North West
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2007

What a suprise .... flew in from Vegas ... San Diego was so so different (Quiet and Quaint). Room cards let you off only at your floor or top floor. Got a suprise from the roof bar ..... the ball game was on next door ... we had a fabulous view. The rooms were great and the staff dead helpful. The hotel location was great for the gaslamp Quarter and pretty good for everything else. We didnt have a car so local transport was on hand. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone .... and would certainly stay there again.

• Liked — So clean and crisp and smart
  • Disliked — not enough help at frontdesk
  • Tips/Secrets — Check out the roof bar day and night - its so unexpected
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
travel agent, San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2006

I stayed here one night and really liked it. I think its in a great location. It's right in the heart of the Gaslamp district and next to the baseball park.
The staff is very friendly, nice lobby, and the rooms are nice sized.
The beds are the best, very comfortable with nice linens. They have a great rooftop bar that looks out to the bay and downtown and into the ball park. It also has a fire pit and couches all around. Great happy hour too.
I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2006
1 Thank christy2064
tustin, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp quarter and had a great time. It is located very near the ocean and paid the extra $20 to get the oceanview. We have been to the gaslamp many times before and always enjoyed our stay.

The service, I received great service from the valet, front desk, consierge, and at the sky bar. I have read negative reviews about the front desk and they probably got fired or something, becuase the lady at the front was great, had a smile the whole time, and told us about the sky bar (which we already knew about). I had NO problem checking in, i reserved this place ONLINE the night before. (yea last minute) The online menu said there were NO king size beds, so i called in after i reserved online, the man who picked up the phone said at first that its all dependent on how many requests are made the day of. The guy was very kind and promised I would get one and I did.

The room is very luxurious. They had quality bed sheets and furniture. The bathroom is awesome, I like how the bathroom door is a large sliding door. They provide the amnenities that you would expect for what you paid for the room.

The view is great, you can see over Coronado ( the small island next to the gaslamp) Unfortunatley the OMNI hotel was slightly blocking the direct water. I can definitely understand why people would be upset because there is ALOT of construction being done around the area and it would be in direct view of their room if it faced south. But COME ON, its not like the marriott has ANY control over that. It's like telling your neighbor to never remodel their house.

The sky bar (Altitude) is beautiful. It is SMALL compared to the Standard in Downtown LA (for those of you who have gone there.) It looked like it fit a little more than 100 people or so and the servers are extremely great at getting you drinks too. They asked us several times if we wanted drinks even though there were many other people around. Thats great service. There is also a great view of Petco Park.

All in all, I thought it was worth the price to stay at this location and will definitely recommend it. We didn't party in the gaslamp area because we stayed at the skybar. Oh yea, if your older and don't like the night life scene, don't stay above teh 18th floor. I stayed on the 19th floor and you could still somewhat hear the bass from the sky bar. So if your above that, I can only imagine that you'd get pissed off. I can understand the situations that would get people angry, I guess i just got really lucky.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank smoon80
Southern California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2006

I was very disappointed with this hotel. I had booked my reservation far in advance, and I called on check-in day to ensure that my reservation would be held for late check-in. Despite this, I was told upon arrival that the hotel had been overbooked and that I would have to go elsewhere.

To the hotel's credit, they had arranged for accomodation at a nearby hotel with a comparable star rating. However, that substitute hotel was quite far from the downtown nightlife, and it was the proximity to downtown nightlife that had convinced me to choose the San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter in the first place.

I wasn't the only one turned away that night. When I pulled up to valet my car, the kind valet told me that I should check with the front desk before bothering to take my luggage out of the trunk, because he had seen many, many people get turned away that night.

My advice: be careful when booking at this hotel. A reservation(even one paid in full in advance, as mine was) doesn't necessarily mean that you will be staying here.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
9 Thank jiuyen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2006

We are in town annually for a convention. So, I was excited that the hotel was so convenient to the Convention Center. It's a lovely, clean and modern hotel but I would definitely look elsewhere next year. It was pricey for its sparse accommodations. I had requested a refrigerator several times and was told that they would contact me if there was a problem. Naturally, I was never informed of the status. I had to ask the concierge several times and was told each time either that they will try or that they did not have any left. I had also requested a microwave. That request was never addressed either. There is no pool onsite. If you wanted to go for a swim you had to go to a different hotel. The website lists a 27" flat screen tv which is not true. There is a complimentary breakfast but only for certain guests. Because of its convenience we would ocassionally drop by our room in the afternoon and it hadn't been cleaned yet.

• Liked — Convenience to convention center and restaurants
  • Disliked — Lack of service
  • Tips/Secrets — Be cautious. You can do better.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank yiyi + boys
Palm Desert, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2006

This hotel has a great location. Very modern lobby. I loved the vibe. Room was very nice.

I paid extra for a late check-out, but housekeeping was banging on my door and trying to enter all afternoon--even when I called down to confirm I had asked for late check out.

Front desk is extremely snobby. Do they realize they are working the front desk? No reason to act rude.

I was there for baseball, and went to the rooftop bar after. They close at midnight, and then room service also closes at midnight. That is ridiculous in a city as big as San Diego and downtown. THey told me to go to the grocery store across the street.

The valets are awesome! They make the hotel. Very cute and funny. Great attitudes. THe front dest should take a lesson from them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business