“Nice place, but a bit pricey”

San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #79 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lakewood, California
“Nice place, but a bit pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2006

Stayed here for one night for a girls' night out. We stayed in a regulary room with 2 queen bed -- which were so comfortable. If there is one thing that I love Marriott for, it's their beds! I have no complaints about the room. It was clean, we had a beautiful view of the water and could see right into Petco Baseball Stadium(which is right next door). The staff was very pleasant and helpful.

Other pluses:
- Bar & Lounge on the roof of the hotel -- very close for a night out on the town.
- Close to bars and resturants located in Gaslamp Quarter

Some downfalls for staying at this hotel:
- No pool on site, but are allowed access to pool at Marriott down the street (about 5-7 minute walk).
- No self parking. Only valet provided by the hotel. There is a parking structure across the street which is expensive and crowded when there is a baseball game.

All in all, it's a nice hotel, but pricey. If you are willing to shell out the money for a nice location in the Gaslamp Quarter and clean and very comfortable rooms, then it's all worth it.

• Liked — close to shops, restaurants & bars in gaslamp quarter
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
7 Thank spontane1979

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Madrid
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2006

I was at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter on August 27th and 28th. I asked in my reservation for a king size bed but when I arrived they told me they had just Queen size availables. You pay around 270$ per night but they have no pool, no free Internet and the concierge never is at his table. If you want some advices, you had to call to ask him. The breakfast is overpriced for the quality and variety of the buffet. I don't recommend this hotel to stay in San Diego.

• Liked — Nothing special
  • Disliked — Services and staff
  • Tips/Secrets — If you want a king size bed, try to grant it in the reservation
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Salva
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2006

Stayed here August 11-14 during a girlfriend getaway, a business contact that lives in S.D. recommended this hotel to me. Beautiful facility, glad we were there on weekend because noisy construction nearby started up first thing Monday am. Great rooms and very comfortable beds. Top notch baths with wonderful toiletries. Note that using online PC in the business center is VERY expensive. Only real downer was that front desk folks were really snooty but the valets more than made up for them. The valets here were invaluable to us every day in helping us get to our destinations and giving us tips on places to go. The breakfast buffet in the onsite restaurant was very good. Walk to Cafe 222 for breakfast, too - if you have time to wait . . it's quite wonderful. The hotel's rooftop skybar has great views. My friend liked their workout facility. We both liked this location a lot; I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Front desk attitudes.
  • Tips/Secrets — Early check-in requests don't seem to work here.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
7 Thank justhavefun
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2006

The bar on the 22nd floor is a must see - but the rest of the hotel is painfully average.
I had to check-in early, due to the travel issues in August 2006, and called to confirm this with the hotel the night before. I was assured this would be 'no problem' - but of course it was. I arrived at 9:00am and was able to check in "earlier than everyone else...", the clerk said snidely, at 1:00pm.
No Pool, but a shuttle to the Marriott next to the Convention Center.
The restaurant - Soleil on K was okay. Breakfast on Sunday was delicious; lunch and dinner - skip it. Again, no matter the food was expensive and average - great food was just a couple of blocks away in all directions. Concierge acted like he was a bit put-out by us mere commoners; but since the SF Giants and their young families were also staying in the hotel the week for four games, I guess I understand why they were preoccupied.
Sleeping rooms were comfortable, and the bathrooms were spacious. The view of the ballpark was amazing, but if you are not into baseball, you may want to ask to stay on the "other side of Petco Field".

• Liked — Close proximity to shopping and restaurants
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Go when the Padres are playing out of town!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank AntZuzu
Orange, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2006

The Marriott Gaslamp Hotel has much to recommend. It is only steps from Petco Stadium and the interior furnishings are fabulous. The hotel is decorated in a minimalist fashion and I truly appreciated the granite and upgraded materials throughout our room and bathroom. However, there is one glaring problem with this hotel and that involves their definition of a "bay view". We paid $300 for a bay view room and yet we could only see patches of the bay due to the big, fat Omni Hotel that sat directly in front of our hotel. In fact, our main view was of the Omni Hotel and the top level of a parking garage. I feel that it is somewhat dishonest of the Marriott to descirbe their rooms as having a "bay view" when in reality, these views are obstructed. If you truly want a full bay view stay at the Marriott or Hyatt at the Convention Center or (of course!) the Omni!. The hotels at the convention center are within easy walking distance of the Gaslamp Quarter and Petco Stadium.

Stayed July 2006
3 Thank JHROrange
Youngstown, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2006

First time in San Diego, and we booked our stay via Priceline, so we had no idea what to expect. All I can say is wow. Great hotel, great room, great location. You absolutely can't say enough about this hotel or location.

Basically, the previous reviewers covered everything, so let me just say ditto on all the good stuff said!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ravens1
Cupertino, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2006

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel only a week before our stay and got a great room with a great view of the ocean and Petco Park. Valet staff was fantastic and fast. They were very curteous as was all the staff. The front desk, concierge, housekeeping staff, etc. were amazing. They were very professional and helpful at all times. The room was a good size and very clean. Room service was fast and all the requests we had made online prior to our stay were made. We asked for extra towels and extra pillows and they were there waiting for us. I can't stay enough good things about this hotel. It's minutes away from the San Diego Zoo and only 15 minutes away from SeaWorld. it's near a lot of shops downtown and if you're in town for a Padres game, it's a must do! The ice cream store, the Marble Slab is right across the street and it's delicious! Perfect for a midnight snack as it's open very late, especially on the weekends. Trophy's is a great sports bar and grill, also right across the street. The Altitude Bar on the 22nd floor is fantastic as well. We did order dinner and breakfast from their restaurant, Soliel @ K, and I do have to say I was disappointed there. It cost much more than its quality. However, I do have to rave about their apple juice. The best apple juice I've ever had. I'd go back to this hotel in a second!

Stayed August 2006