“Loved it”

San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #78 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 2, 2006

Stayed here August 11-14 during a girlfriend getaway, a business contact that lives in S.D. recommended this hotel to me. Beautiful facility, glad we were there on weekend because noisy construction nearby started up first thing Monday am. Great rooms and very comfortable beds. Top notch baths with wonderful toiletries. Note that using online PC in the business center is VERY expensive. Only real downer was that front desk folks were really snooty but the valets more than made up for them. The valets here were invaluable to us every day in helping us get to our destinations and giving us tips on places to go. The breakfast buffet in the onsite restaurant was very good. Walk to Cafe 222 for breakfast, too - if you have time to wait . . it's quite wonderful. The hotel's rooftop skybar has great views. My friend liked their workout facility. We both liked this location a lot; I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
7  Thank justhavefun
Write a ReviewReviews (1,387)

Reviewed August 24, 2006

The bar on the 22nd floor is a must see - but the rest of the hotel is painfully average.
I had to check-in early, due to the travel issues in August 2006, and called to confirm this with the hotel the night before. I was assured this would be 'no problem' - but of course it was. I arrived at 9:00am and was able to check in "earlier than everyone else...", the clerk said snidely, at 1:00pm.
No Pool, but a shuttle to the Marriott next to the Convention Center.
The restaurant - Soleil on K was okay. Breakfast on Sunday was delicious; lunch and dinner - skip it. Again, no matter the food was expensive and average - great food was just a couple of blocks away in all directions. Concierge acted like he was a bit put-out by us mere commoners; but since the SF Giants and their young families were also staying in the hotel the week for four games, I guess I understand why they were preoccupied.
Sleeping rooms were comfortable, and the bathrooms were spacious. The view of the ballpark was amazing, but if you are not into baseball, you may want to ask to stay on the "other side of Petco Field".

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank AntZuzu
Reviewed August 23, 2006

The Marriott Gaslamp Hotel has much to recommend. It is only steps from Petco Stadium and the interior furnishings are fabulous. The hotel is decorated in a minimalist fashion and I truly appreciated the granite and upgraded materials throughout our room and bathroom. However, there is one glaring problem with this hotel and that involves their definition of a "bay view". We paid $300 for a bay view room and yet we could only see patches of the bay due to the big, fat Omni Hotel that sat directly in front of our hotel. In fact, our main view was of the Omni Hotel and the top level of a parking garage. I feel that it is somewhat dishonest of the Marriott to descirbe their rooms as having a "bay view" when in reality, these views are obstructed. If you truly want a full bay view stay at the Marriott or Hyatt at the Convention Center or (of course!) the Omni!. The hotels at the convention center are within easy walking distance of the Gaslamp Quarter and Petco Stadium.

Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank JHROrange
Reviewed August 19, 2006

First time in San Diego, and we booked our stay via Priceline, so we had no idea what to expect. All I can say is wow. Great hotel, great room, great location. You absolutely can't say enough about this hotel or location.

Basically, the previous reviewers covered everything, so let me just say ditto on all the good stuff said!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ravens1
Reviewed August 16, 2006

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel only a week before our stay and got a great room with a great view of the ocean and Petco Park. Valet staff was fantastic and fast. They were very curteous as was all the staff. The front desk, concierge, housekeeping staff, etc. were amazing. They were very professional and helpful at all times. The room was a good size and very clean. Room service was fast and all the requests we had made online prior to our stay were made. We asked for extra towels and extra pillows and they were there waiting for us. I can't stay enough good things about this hotel. It's minutes away from the San Diego Zoo and only 15 minutes away from SeaWorld. it's near a lot of shops downtown and if you're in town for a Padres game, it's a must do! The ice cream store, the Marble Slab is right across the street and it's delicious! Perfect for a midnight snack as it's open very late, especially on the weekends. Trophy's is a great sports bar and grill, also right across the street. The Altitude Bar on the 22nd floor is fantastic as well. We did order dinner and breakfast from their restaurant, Soliel @ K, and I do have to say I was disappointed there. It cost much more than its quality. However, I do have to rave about their apple juice. The best apple juice I've ever had. I'd go back to this hotel in a second!

Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank VacayLover
Reviewed August 7, 2006

We were a little surprised when we booked this on Priceline, to find out it had no pool and there was a $24 parking fee. However, we did not regret our stay - we had a great time (Mom and 2 daughers - 9 & 14). So close to Gaslamp Quarters - which my 14-year old daughter loved for the nearby upscale stores as well as the mall selections at Horton Plaza (all within easy walking distance). Being so cose to Petco Park, you have to hate baseball if you do not attend. You can easily buy tickets at the walk-up window, including the "park within the park" - a grassy hill behind center field for only $5, $8 for bleachers (being a Giants fans these bleachers do not compare as you cannot see game well) or $12 for view deck (top). We wanted to go 2 nights, but got back too late for the 2nd one. First night we got free hats, second night they were giving away t-shirts. Traffic around the hotel, even with a game going on, is not bad. We left area along with afternoon ballpark traffic and were only delayed about 10-15 minutes. Liked looking out the window at the park preparation activity, to check scoreboard at night. Could even see peaks of Coronado Hotel across the bay. Enjoyed close proximity to ice-cream store and Subway's (across the street). Liked going for walks in the morning along the marina (near convention center). Short hop over to Coronado - great beach. Easy access to Old Town and Mission Valley for shopping. Fun to be in a central location - with lots of action!! Also, very comfortable rooms, albeit we had 2 full beds (would have preferred 2 queens). Requested a refrigerator and got it at no charge - quite roomy. Will return again!!

Reviewed July 24, 2006

Valentine's Day weekend, so I had big plans for my girlfriend and I. We went out that night, and came back to wind down. We were pretty tired from the night, and were just talking, nothing more. Little did we know that a gold member was next door and decided that talking was too loud for them and had us kicked out. There were no other complaints made on us, and they didn't even investigate or give us a warning. So there we were, Valentine's weekend, every place was sold out, and they kicked us out. The night staff was very rude, and wouldn't listen to our side of the story. Because we weren't GOLD members, we didn't have a say. I made a formal complaint to the management who were no help either. The night staff had made up a lie to justify to management why we were kicked out, saying we had 15 people in our room It was myself and my girlfriend, and that was it. There are way too many choices to waste your money and time here.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple