“Loved this Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
USA
“Loved this Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2006

We enjoyed our stay at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter. We had a beautiful view of the harbor that over looked the Padres stadium. The room was very comfortable & clean. The hotel does not have a pool, however, you can use the pool at another nearby Marriott. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed April 2006
6 Thank owings

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2006

Just got back from a 4 night’s stay. I requested an early check in (9am) and a late check out (3pm) staff was very accommodating. Room was spotless, well stocked with plenty of towels, toiletries and had very comfortable beds. There is plenty to see and do within the gaslamp area.

No need to rent a car if you’re willing to wait a little. The mass transit system is within walking distance, easy to use and very affordable.

I had my grandson with me and the only downside is that there is no pool at this hotel.

I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank squink
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2006

I thank everyone else's reviews before mine because I really studied up on which hotels to stay at, even though I am a Marriott employee myself. I never visited San Diego before, so input was most appreciated. My first night was at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott in Dana Point and then the following 2 nights at the San Diego Marriott Marina (both of which I will write about on their sites). After staying at the Marriott Marina, I reluctantly moved over to the Gaslamp because the Marina was sold out my last night there. I wasn't reluctant to go there because of anything negative of the GasLamp Marriott, but we SO LOVED...the Marina Marriott that I was worried.

First the Positives: The lobby was beautiful, simple but clean and elegant. My room was 1900 which was a corner room which had two huge sliding glass door sized windows (but they weren't sliding glass doors), and they opened on the bottom for fresh air. Around the corner of the room was a whole other area with a HUGE workstation for those of you there for business. Also a nice sitting chair in the corner and the desk chair was cushy too. If someone were working there, the other person sleeping around the corner wouldn't be too disturbed. THE ROOM WAS SPOTLESS. Not one fingerprint, dust ball or window streak. The beds had the new bedding which was really nice, flat screen t.v., nice carpeting, beautiful woodwork, even the bathroom door (which was a really cool sliding door with chrome on the bottom), great toiletries, great coffee pot (chrome with FLAVORED CREAMERS!).

Now just a few negatives:

Parking was expensive (like all downtown hotels). I believe the parking garage was around $20 dollars a day (valet only), and that's because there is NO PULL IN FOR INCOMING CARS. Just a plain old sidewalk. They did let me park my rental car there for a few minutes to check in and go quickly to my room, but I needed to come down right away and move it or they needed to valet it.

The walk to the GasLamp was a few blocks, down Fifth street, but it was raining and those few blocks seemed far in the rain (we had sore feet too), so we took a cab to the waterfront area.

Right across the street was CONSTRUCTION that probably would have been really annoying if we had been there a few days and trying to sleep in the morning. A HUGE CRANE was right across the street peering through the window. We had to leave at 4:30 a.m. the next moring for the airport, so that wasn't an issue for us.

I would highly recommend this hotel though. The people working there were ALL VERY NICE and the concierge was great. BUT, I was traveling with my 14 yr. old daughter and we much more enjoyed the Marriott Marina on N. Harbor because the VIEWS VIEWS VIEWS from our bayside 19th floor room. Plus, we walked every evening right along the marina to the Seaport Village shops and restaurants. It was a short, safe and beautiful walk.

The GasLamp had no pool, so the pool at the other property made it a much more desirable property. The GasLamp is a short hike, for you business travelers, to the Convention Center (not a great walk in heels). The Marina Marriott was RIGHT THERE.

So even though the location, parking, non-pool could be an issue, it still is a beautiful hotel. Also, the rooftop bar was closed for renovation, but do to reopen March 31st.

Hope that helps! Cab ride from hotel to airport only $10.80, not including tip.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank RKNLOVESCOFFEE
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2006

We just returned from a 2 night stay at the Gaslamp Marriott and we thought the hotel was great. The hotel decor is lovely and the room was very comfortable. Our room overlooked the ballpark and we only wish there had been a game because that would have been super fun to watch! The Altitude bar on the roof top was a great place to begin the evening with a bottle of wine. We did that both nights before venturing down to the gaslamp quarter for dinner. We also checked out Croce's for live jazz and that was terrific, too.

Parking at the Marriott is expensive, so we opted to park in the garage across the street for about half the price the one day we did have a rental car. That leads me to the one problem I had with the Marriott...I noticed on the day of checkout that they had charged me $96 for parking and we had never used their garage. The matter was resolved quickly, though I had to contact a supervisor because the front desk was not authorized to remove a charge that large.

In any case, I would recommend the hotel...just make sure to check you bill at the end of your stay to ensure you weren't overcharged.

• Stayed January 2006
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank mslll75
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2006

Brand new bueatiful rooms. Very W like in a great location. Years ago you had to stay in the towers next to the convention center. Now there are great options like this one in the Gaslamp. Pricey but what is not in SD.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business