“47th Wedding Anniversary, what a special way to enjoy!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter

Ranked #77 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Carlsbad, California
“47th Wedding Anniversary, what a special way to enjoy!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

From when the reservation was made till check-out, my Wife Carol and I really enjoyed the PERSONAL SERVICE. As far as I am concerned, Marriott at Gaslamp building; is just another nice building. The PEOPLE that work the Front Desk, Bell Men, Bar Tenders, Food Servers, etc. are the REAL REASON we stay at this property. I have over 1,000,000 points earned at many Marriott Properties. The MARRIOTT AT GAS LAMP in San Diego is truly one of the SUPER STARS.
We will return to this property.
JOE TOSTO

Room Tip: MAKER RESERVATIONSz as early as you can. Many events take place near this super property.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stay at Marriott properties everywhere I travel and this hotel is in my top 5. I love the location of this hotel in San Diego. You can walk to nearly everything downtown, and it's close to the convention center, the waterfront and right next door to Petco Park (in fact, my room looked onto the field). But it's more than just the location that attracts me to it. The altitude and latitude bars are lots of fun, There's a great restaurant with outside seating, and the concierge lounge is cozy, friendly and very service oriented even at off-hours. While the fitness center is small, all of the equipment is new and in top-notch condition. The service throughout the property is outstanding. From the valet parking squad to the front desk team, the housekeeping staff and everyone else, I always feel very well cared-for. The room is nice - cool furnishings like an L-shaped desk, sliding doors, good lighting and a comfy chair and hassock. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. My very favorite thing about this hotel though is this: the candy at the registration desk! Salt-water taffy, tootsie rolls, Necco wafers -- it's like Halloween every day. Silly, yes, but fun? Hell YES! Thank you for a great stay. I've been before, and I'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a baseball stadium view on a high floor. Second choice: concierge floor. Don't stay on...
Green Features: Yes! There are cards on the bed and in the bathroom asking if you need fresh linens and towels. use 'em! California is in severe drought and I appreciate that this hotel is doing all it can to help conserve.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Scott G,

Thank you for the great review. We are happy that you continue to stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back each time you visit San Diego. In the meantime, please let us know if we can be of service to you.

All my best,

Jeffrey Burg
Director of Operations
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Our room overlooked Petco Park, which is basically across the street. We were able to walk to MANY great restaurants and bars, as well as Seaport Village. The trolley stop is just a couple of blocks away.

From the outside, it appears this hotel was built decades ago, but it's nice inside. The lobby is very contemporary and makes a nice first impression. The people who checked us in weren't overly friendly, but we did get a nice farewell from the pair who checked us out.

The room was pretty much what you would expect in a Marriott. Comfortable enough. But the TV cabinet at the foot of the bed is so low, the TV is blocked by your feet and the sheets as you're lying down.

I'm also wondering about the plumbing system. We were awakened on two days by loud flushing sounds, apparently coming from another room. Overall, though, a good stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mike B
Dear Mike B,

I appreciate your review and comments about your experience. I will certainly speak with our front office manager regarding your arrival. We are very fortunate to be only steps away from Petco Park and everything else in the heart of San Diego.

I hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future. I am very confident your check-in experience will be much improved.

All my best,

Jeffrey Burg
Director of Operations
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

What a wonderful experience. Warm friendly Marriott staff. Hotel ambience good with a great location. Our first trip here to visit friends and we would definitely choose this Hotel again.access to restaurants,shopping

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gary G
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is a nice property in a great location. Overall, it is worth the trip; HOWEVER, my recent experience left me scratching my head!
I checked in this past Sunday evening at 10:20 pm local time. Having flown in from the East, I was more than a little tired. There was an upset couple at the desk when I arrived - the problem was the reservation system was down. The hotel couldn't recover payment info nor key the room! We ended up being walked up by Lost Prevention and the problem was resolved at some point in the night. My issue was that the Associates told me it had happened Saturday night as we'll....HELLO...how about a contingency plan???? The night team was more than flustered...

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Longliveloyalty
Hotel S, Front Office Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Longliveloyalty,

Thank you for staying at the San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter. I’m pleased to read you enjoyed the hotel and our central location. I do apologize that our system was down when you arrived on Sunday night. The computers going down are a very rare occurrence at the hotel and it was something that was completely out of our control. In those rare instances we are with out computers we are still able to assist guests the “old fashion way”; however, with out computers the check in does take a little bit longer so thank you for your patience with us. I do apologize for any challenges the system outage may have caused. Thank you for staying with us and we do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Best regards,

Aimée Bond
Front Office Manager
Michigan, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Marriott in the Gaslamp district of San Diego. It was a delightful stay. The hotel staff is very courteous and they were very friendly. At check-in, the desk clerk made it a point to ask what sort of view we wanted from our room. He gave us a comfortable room overlooking the city. The room itself was small considering it held a king size bed, corner wrap around desk, TV cabinet and a chair with an ottoman. The furnishings have a premium quality to them. The bath was ample. The room is equipped with an iron and ironing board as well as a safe. The only negative about this hotel is the absence of a swimming pool. It has a fitness center but we did not use it. Overall, this is a four star property. It is located in the heart of the Gaslamp district with many restaurants nearby. Petco Stadium is next door.

1 Thank straitsdiver
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

The hotel is situated next to MetLife Ball Park... A GREAT location in the Gas Lamp District. Service across the board was excellent. I don't know if it's me but I thought what came with the room made it seem overpriced to ME.
Did I say this was a GREAT location? A W-I-D-E variety of restaurants & bars are littered all around the hotel. I would've loved a swim or maybe bathe in a whirlpool but there was none. Instead there's a nightclub on the roof w/ spectacular views of the area.

• Stayed January 2014