“Very good hotel with ideal location ”

San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #76 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Very good hotel with ideal location ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

First stay here but I stay with Marriott world wide every month . This hotel has a great location . One block from all of the bars and restruante . Clean and very nice service .

The parking was expensive and the concierge lounge was below the average services provided at many marriott's I stay at .

The rooms were very clean but an odd layout with the computer table in a side room .

But still a very good place to stay .

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Guest services at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for staying at Marriott Gaslamp Quarter! We appreciate your loyalty as a Marriott guest. We are very fortunate to have such a great location, only steps from everything you could want to do downtown.

We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

All my best,

Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kailua, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was our first stay at this Marriott and we could not be more pleased with our visit. We had a great room overlooking Petco field which was an added bonus. The staff was very professional, helpful and accommodating. We have frequent trips to San Diego for both family and business and plan to return to the Marriott soon.

Room Tip: Upper floors looking out over the harbor are great at night. If you are a sports fan, the rooms look...
Green Features: There was an environmental presence, although our stay was short without much time to evaluate it further.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I am so glad that you enjoyed your first experience here with us at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter! I am a huge fan of our Petco Park view rooms as well and am happy that you had such a wonderful stay. Our staff always tries to be as courteous and accommodating as possible, thank you so much for taking the time to reward us with your wonderful review!

We hope to have you and your family back staying with us soon!

Guest Services
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed here back in July when I was in town for San Diego Comic Con. Previously I'd stayed at the Hilton Gaslamp, and I didn't expect the Marriott to be as nice, but I was pleasantly surprised. The room was a very good size, the bed was very comfortable, and you had all the amenities you could want. The room had very big wardrobe which included a massive safe, 2 to 3 times bigger than most hotel safes.

Service at the hotel was excellent, and check-in was quick and hassle free.

The hotel is situated in the heart of the Gaslamp area, and there are lots of restaurants all within walking distance. For breakfast I'd recommend a trip to the Broken Yolk just around the corner, it has an excellent menu, and the food is good.

I've read other reviews regarding the TV's being very low to the ground, and although this did seem a bit odd, it wasn't really an issue. If you're sat on chair, or on the bed you can see the TV fine, and I think it looks worse in peoples photos than it actually is.

Overall I'd recommend this hotel, and I think it's slightly better than Hilton Gaslamp, but there's not much between them.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us back in July! We are lucky to be so closely situated to the convention center, especially for all of our Comic Con guests. I am so glad that you enjoyed all of the amenities out hotel has to offer, such as our comfortable beds, large safes, and the wonderful service our staff has to offer. I am glad that you found our location so convenient for all of your needs in San Diego.

We look forward to having you stay with us again soon! Thank you for your great review!

Guest services
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

The rooms were comfortable and the service was ok. Like other reviewers there is no free-wifi and we had to pay for it (it was spotty for free wi-fi in their lobby). Their lobby by the way was really nice.

The best feature of this hotel is its location. Right in the middle of the Gaslamp district and walking distance to everything. There is a restaurant which is part of the hotel and they served breakfast, lunch and dinner I believe but we did not try it. We went around the corner at the Broken Yolk which we really enjoyed (separate review).

I am not sure if I would return to this particular hotel as there were other hotels (which include free wi-fi and free breakfast) in the area and would probably consider them if we return..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us, I am glad that you thought our rooms were comfortable. I am so sorry to read that you had difficulties with the WiFi during your stay. We recently updated our entire Internet infrastructure and now offer complimentary internet for our guests in the lobby, as well as in the guest rooms.

We are very fortunate to be located so close to everything in the downtown San Diego area. Our restaurant, Soleil offers a wide variety of delicious food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I am sorry you feel you would not return to stay with us, hopefully with the changes I mentioned, you might consider it. Thank you again for your review!

Guest services
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Comfortable rooms but very poor service from check in to check out. The rooms were clean, comfortable had all requirements except for wifi, although wifi was reasonable value for money if purchased for 24 hours, in fairness the lobby did have free wifi. The service throughout was poor, no offer of assistance with luggage on check in, no local information provided, no service in the afternoon (2.30pm) in the lobby, I requested a coffee whilst waiting for my room to be serviced, I was informed that I would have to go to my room and order room service as this would be the only way to get coffee or visit a local coffee shop! The service in the restaurant was poor but quality of food was good. The area surrounding the hotel is nice and it is ideally located for both leisure and business.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear CulrualIreland,

Thank you for your candid comments. Please accept my most sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations and not delivering the service you deserve. It is not our intention to inconvenience our guests in anyway and I will certainly be discussing this with our team.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again; I am confident your next visit will be significantly better. Once again, I apologize.

Warmest regards,

Jeffrey Burg
Director of Operations
San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Pros: Room was spacious, clean, and modern with nice amenities (not the cheap soap and lotion drill)
I also think the hotel is fairly new.

Decent rooftop lounge- that fire wasn't enough to keep me there for too long at night.

The staff were polite and gave good restaurant recommendations which brings me to my con-

Con: I never saw a concierge at the concierge desk

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank getachkaraoke
Bellevue, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

I was here on business, my room was so nice I never wanted to leave. The bed was comfy, great spa products and a loofah, room service was great, I ordered the tomato basil flat bread. So tasty. I attended a conference and the catering there was amazing. Right next to Petco park and other attractions. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Only drawback was the $9.99 per day fee for wi-fi, Seriously?

• Stayed October 2013