“Location Can't Be Beat”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Location Can't Be Beat”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights in mid-August. This was our second stay at the property, the first was about 5 years ago.

Location -
First, the location (for us) is perfect. Right accross the street from Petco and easy walking distance to several shops, restaurants and bars. We flew in to San Diego. The cab ride from the airport took about 10 minutes and was $20 (including tip) each way. Much better than spending $38 per night to valet park. However, if you are venturing out of the Gaslamp I can see where a car would come in handy. This trip we stayed put.

Room-
We stayed in a basic room with a king bed. the floor to ceiling windows made the room seem big and bright. I found it to be very comfortable and clean. Amenities included robes, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, coffee, tea and water. The safe was huge. I do agree with other reviews that the tv is in an ackward spot, almost lower than the bed. I could still see it perfectly fine though.

Staff-
The place always seemed well-staffed. Everyone we came in contact with was friendly and helpful, especially the front desk.

Food -
Unfortunately, we missed out on the rooftop bar, but we did order room service. It was good and it didn't take too long to arrive. Standard room service prices.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel to others. We will definitely stay here upon return visits.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
philadelphia
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp during late August. Was in town for a conference and, as a side note, the city is designed well to accommodate large conferences. A few week earlier I had the opportunity to stay at the Marriott Marquis, which is down the street, and happy to report both properties offer exceptional experiences.

First, the obvious. The hotel has a rooftop bar called Altitude (also a ground floor bar called Latitude) which if you happen to stay at the hotel during Thursday-Saturday you will notice a club like feel. Seems very trendy and I noticed when I checked in, which was at 11:30 pm on Saturday there was a line about 60 people deep waiting to gain access to the rooftop bar. As a guest at the hotel, there is no need to wait! You can take an elevator directly up.

The hotel was nicely designed and the location is great if you’re looking for a night scene. I got upgraded to room 2003, which was a corner room with lots of extra space and faced the stadium (see my pictures). The room also included 1.5 baths, which is always a nice touch. Hotel staff was very friendly and fitness center was decent sized.

Room Tip: Try a corner room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We signed up for a package through this hotel with a rental car and free valet parking, and couldn't be more happy. This was for our anniversary and they sent up strawberries and champagne at check in. The rooftop deck is amazing and convenient to the ballpark.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is an excellent hotel in a excellent location. It is in the center of Gaslamp,across from the Stadium. There are many restaurants within walking distance. The rooms are very comfortable.They are rather large and generously appointed as well. The staff could not have been nicer. I look forward to my next visit at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dan S
Somerville, New Jersey
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed two nights in August for a baseball weekend. This hotel id located right across the street from Petco Park. Great location. The view of the stadium from the roof top lounge was fantastic. San Diego's Gas Lamp district has lots of shops and restaurants with walking distance from any hotel in the Gas Lamp district. Service was fantatstic. Parking is a little pricey but the valet service was very efficient.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank seaver41
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was using points to have a night in with my lady, upon check-in I had mentioned that my girlfriend was not having a good day. Jennyfer not only upgraded me to a Jr. Suite, she had strawberries and champagne delivered along with a hand written note hoping that this gift would help make my girlfriend's day better. I stay at many hotels across the US, and usually the customer service is great at Marriott's...Jennyfer went above and beyond my expectations.

2 Thank Micheal L
Hotel S, Director of Human Resources at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Micheal L,

I am so happy to hear about your amazing stay at our hotel and how much care Jennyfer put into it. Although I must say I am not surprised, we have a hotel full of associates that really do care about people and that is the main criterion in the hiring process. Jennyfer is an exceptional young woman and we are very lucky to have her on our team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Dawn Myers
Director of Human Resources
Farmington, Connecticut
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Very nice hotel in a great location. You can avoid the $38 per night hotel parking by parking on the street, but be careful of the street cleaning rules on Thursday mornings. The hotel is literally next door to the Padres stadium and it has a nice roof top bar which overlooks part of the stadium. We had a lot of problems with our room key not working properly, but that was the extent of the negatives. In San Diego, the Gaslamp District is the place to be. There are more bars and restaurants than you can count. However, be prepared for all the homeless people in the area.
If I return to SD, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family