“Great location, nice people”

Ranked #78 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was in town for a convention and this was a great choice. The location is about a 3-5 minute walk to the convention center, you are enclose to tons of bars and restaurants, and the staff are friendly. The location to the ballpark is very neat and the rooftop really is amazing and you can watch the game from there. You are about a 15 min walk to the seaport and USS Midway. The Marriott quality you expect is there, with some complaints: the parking price is RIDICULOUS (38 a day) but you can park your car a block away from $15 a day or so. The concierge lounge is small but well stocked, however it is not consistently manned on the weekend days for elite members and it can get gross with no one minding the store. Finally the gym is really not good. They should put a little money into getting new cardio equipment there. But those are the only complaints I had. Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a ballpark view if you care.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Wilcox109,

Thank you for your review and kind words. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our location and our multi-award winning Altitude sky lounge. Regarding your parking charges, unfortunately parking in all downtown hotels can be expensive, and we are actually priced below many of the surrounding properties. However, we do have packages that include valet parking. When they are available they are a great value.

As you may know, all Marriott hotels in North America close their concierge lounge on weekends and do not regularly provide any breakfast options for platinum and gold Marriott Rewards guests. We are breaking the "rules" a bit by offering a very light, self-service continental breakfast on weekends. While we do have someone re-stocking food and cleaning up, the weekend lounge offerings are not intended to represent the weekday service levels or breakfast choices. Lastly, I am happy to let you know that all of our Cardio equipment is now brand new and was installed last week.

I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future. Thank you for being our guest!

All my best,

Jeffrey Burg
Director of Operations

Reviewed April 20, 2013

This was my first stay at this property. It will not be the last. Excellent location. Across the street from the ballpark and conveniently located in the Gas Lamp District with a plethora of restaurants. The entire staff that I encountered were professional and cordial. The candy dishes at the front desk is something extra to compliment the visit. The rooms were clean and spacious. The beds were extremely comfortable, as I hated to get out of bed. The valet parking was steep. I opted for a cab. The roof top bar provides spectacular views. I look forward to the next visit.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Front Office Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear ResortMike,

We are very pleased to read about your first stay with us! We do have an excellent location, extremely comfortable beds, clean rooms, spectacular views of San Diego from our rooftop bar Altitude, and the most pleasant and cordial staff around! Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to San Diego!

Best regards,

Aimée Bond
Front Office Manager

Reviewed April 16, 2013

If you're in San Diego, NOT at the beach, this is a great hotel . . . cool vibe, Rooftop bar, 10 steps from Petco Park . . . and a block from the main drag of Gaslamp. Was actually at the hotel the week it opened a couple of years ago . . . its still very nice, a better Marriott property!

Great if you have a Convention, about a 5-minute walk, and close enough to the waterfront that you can take a nice long walk to the more touristy places!

If you're a Padres fan, or your team is playing them, this IS the place!

Room Tip: High floor, stadium view!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear MadhatterFl,

Thank you so much for telling us about your enjoyable stay with us and I am glad to see that you enjoyed yourself at our open air lounge, Altitude. Hope that next time you are in San Diego that we will see you again.

Sean Mattix
Director of Food & Beverage

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great place to stay for a meetings in the Convention Center. Had a great view of Petco Park from the 22nd floor roof-top. Close to many restaurants. Great walking along the marina, embarkadero and Seaport Village is not far away.

Room Tip: When booking more than one room on the wholesale internet sites like Orbitz, put them all in one nam...
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Was in town for a convention. I eschewed the big, official "convention hotels" and opted for my favorite, the Marriott. I was not at all disappointed. It's only about a quarter-mile walk, not bad at all. Some colleagues were staying at the Marina Marriott, which is next to the Convention Center, but door to door their walk seemed longer.

I was completely satisfied with the Marriott Gaslamp. Absolutely wonderful, friendly staff, my room was clean and I "almost" had a view of Petco Field from my room. It was close to some really good restaurants, far closer than the Marina Marriott.

But this place seemed to be a party spot. Saturday night at 2:15 a group of 10-12 drunks had closed a bar and descended on the room next to me. Drunk shouting in the hallways, etc. Security came up and took care of it, but the whole floor was awake by then. The rooftop bar was voted best trendy bar in San Diego, but that also brings a younger party element to the property. And the fact that it's rooftop means this group is all over the lobbies, elevators, etc.

Without a doubt it met my needs and expectations, but that may not be true for everyone considering staying there. It also has no pool, no hot tub, nothing, also a deterrent for many families.

Room Tip: Many rooms have a view of Petco Field, although they may cost a few extra bucks.
1  Thank NorthCostGuy
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Business meeting, great location for exploring Gas Lamp district and a 10 min walk to the convention center. Rooms were clean and comfortable and could see home plate inside the stadium from my window.

Room Tip: Go up high and ask for one facing the stadium
2  Thank Stellus
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Stellus:
We are glad to know you had an enjoyable stay with us and we thank you for your feedback.
Francisco Urvina
Housekeeping Department

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had a suite on the 11th floor and it was very noisy.

We could hear the guests above us getting ready, dropping things etc.

ADVICE: PASS on the restaurant Soleil @K We had Sunday breakfast and the service was the worst service we have EVER experienced. My husband and I go out very often and know bad to good service and this restaurant is below bad. I guess when I had to tell the hostess our server hasnt shown up after we have been sitting for 15 minutes should have been a red flag. PASS THIS UP!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank katmar7
Hotel S, Director of Food and Beverage at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Katmar7,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay with us was and reviewing our hotel. First of all I am very sorry for the noise that you experienced during our stay and I have communicated this to our Loss Prevention team to make sure that they are aware of what happened during your stay.

I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed I am to find out about your experience that you had in our restaurant, Soleil. We strive to ensure that everyone has the best possible experience when they visit us and we obviously fell WAY short of providing that. I have shared this with not only my supervisors but with our morning restaurant staff to let them know about your experience, we will use this as a training tool and to make sure that this does not happen again. I hope that the next time that you are in San Diego that you stay with us again and give us the chance to make up for your bad dining experience . We are more than capable of giving the great service that you deserve. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.

Regards,