“Our CA trip to Santa Barbara”

Ranked #80 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We flew into San Diego and drove to Murietta to visit our mother in law. While there we drove to Santa Barbara for a few days to visit family. On our return trip home we stayed in San Diego for a few days and stayed at the Westin. It was great but for us, very expensive. More bussiness like atmosphere which was a bit of a turn off. The reason we chose this hotel was because of the on line promotion of $99 a night we saw on their web site, Guess what...when we got thwere it didnt exist. TRAPPED! We decuded to stay one night since we were offered an upgrade. The bed was pure heaven...loved it. The room and view were great too. Except for the price tag our stay was nice.

Room Tip: Look around for better priced hotels. They do exist and are less bussiness like.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear Steve R,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I would greatly appreciate it if you could contact me regarding your visit. I am curious about your check in experience and would like to learn about the rate discrepancy. We typically do not have a $99 rate, and if there was an error I want to make sure it is corrected.

We appreciate you staying with us.

Happy Holidays,

Jeffrey Burg
Director of Operations

There are newer reviews for San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter

Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I like this hotel and the location. It is tow walk to the convention center which is close and the gas lamp quarter and east village are easily accessible. I don't like the $36/night parking fee ouch. The room is okay but would like hooks in the closet and more places to hang stuff in the bathroom. The bathroom layout is nice with the curved shower curtain rod and lots of shelve space. I don't care for the gilchrist & Hommes toiletries. I prefer the usual bath and body works orange and ginger toiletries. Bedside I would have liked an outlet to charge my phone. I had to plug in my own extension cord. The TV did not have a media center built in so I had to hook up directly to the TV with my laptop. The TV was pretty old at 720p and I had to get a Mini 3.5 to RCA Y splitter to get audio from laptop to the TV. I like the furniture and the desk is great. Great view of the bay and Petco park. The view is even better on top of the Hotel at Altitude the restaurant on top. I would have liked a pool and spa, but no dice here. I really don't like wifi the service here I actually turned off and used the 3G on my phone cause it was so frustrating. I did speed tests and had great speed but the service would keep disconnecting and I had to reconnect over and over again . They use AT&T wifi service which I am less than impressed with.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Lvinstyle,

Thank you for your review and comments. I am sorry that you experienced some difficulty with our technology offerings. In 2013, we will be upgrading and changing our guest internet. These changes will provide a much better user experience. I hope that you will consider staying with us in the future, and "test drive" our new systems.

Happy Holidays,

Jeffrey Burg
Director of Operations

Reviewed December 4, 2012

First time staying at this hotel. I got a great AAA rate that included valet parking (normally $36) and got upgrade to a king suite on the end of the hall (really nice room!). Very friendly staff when I checked in and very comfortable and clean room. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night while visiting a friend in the area. The hotel is in a great location so you can walk to pretty much anything you would want to do. The lobby is nice, no frills, but clean. There is a restaurant and bar that seemed pretty nice but i didnt attend. The room was pretty standard, nothing special but nothing that turned me off. If you can get a good price this is a great place to stay but dont expect any sort of luxury experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We attended a high school soccer showcase for our daughter and stayed here at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter. It was by far one of the better Marriott experiences we have had.
Complimentary Starbucks int he morning was a great touch for our early morning soccer games.
The restaurants and night club are a must do experience.
The location to literally 100's of restaurants and night life choices makes it a place we will return to with great pleasure.
When looking don worries about staying here. A great value!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tom K
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Can't say enough good things about this hotel. The location was fantastic to get out in the Gaslamp quarter and the rooms very very clean, spacious, and outfitted about as nicely as any top end Las Vegas hotel you may have visited.

Three minor complaints, though - 1) If you want WI-FI in your room you have to pay for it. More and more this is a free amenity for guests at other hotels, but not here. And, when you do pay for it, it is only for one device. So, in my case I had a business laptop, personal laptop and smart phone. I would have to pay for internet on each of them in order to have access. They did let me know that wi-fi is free in the lobby, on the roof and I think in the business center (their offices, not a customer business center as far as I could tell.)

2) No breakfast included.

3) No fridge in the room, although there is an ice machine on each floor.

A very comfortable stay. There is a parking garage across the street that cost me $18 for an overnight park. So that is probably cheaper than the valet service.

Room Tip: Note that your card is needed to access the room floors. So, if anyone is meeting you you'll ha...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kitertodd
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed at the Marriot Gaslamp on a conference visit to San Diego in 2010 and can unequivacally say the staff, rooms, and overall facility is excellent. One of the hidden gems was the roof top lounge and gym facility. Location is obviously outstanding with walking access to the gas lamp district and the core of San Diego. If you like baseball it is a great choice for attending a game...great hotel and would stay again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business