“Tremendous location”

Ranked #77 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Great location, right next to the ballpark and close to lots and lots of dining places.

Friendly valet and front desk staff.

Main floor restaurant friendly and ok prices. We went on a baseball game day so the menu was limited to some simple food. We considered leaving but stayed nearly by ourselves and saw a number of people leave when they could only get finger-type food and sandwiches.

We stayed in a room facing the ballpark which was ok but bright at night (you could not be closer to the game). Home runs means explosions.

All in all ok but very, very pricey rooms (close to $300), valet ($34), and internet charge ($10)for what you get. Luxury hotel prices for nothing close to luxury hotel ammenities.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RenfieldP
Hotel S, Assistant Director of Food & Beverage at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Dear Reinfield Ponsford,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback during your stay with us.

Because of your comment about our limited offerings during Padre games, we have decided to take your advice and offer our regular menu as well on Padre games. I appreciate and thank you for dining with us though.

Thanks again for taking the time to let us know your thoughts and we hope that you will think of us the next time you are in San Diego.

Regards,

Sean Mattix
Assistant Director of Food & Beverage

There are newer reviews for San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Simply put, I stayed at this hotel for a business convention and for lack of a better term, it is a dump. Before I got to my room, I noticed that the halls, that are not renovated, are absolutely filthy. In my room- there was blood on the shower faucet and the walls in the bathroom were filthy, including the ceiling. In the bedroom area there were red stains on the floor in the carpet. It appeared that someone attempted to get the stains out but did not suceed. AND be very careful. This hotel literally sits right next to the ball park so if there is a baseball game be prepared for very large crowds of people, that are not hotel guests, accessing the rooftop bar through the hotel. In addition, be prepared for the noise associated with being next to a Baseball park. When i addressed the issues with the hotel manager at the front desk, they gave me a free breakfast. That was it. The lobby is nice, but to get someone to help you with your bags, without an attitude is an undertaking in itself. I was told at check out that some of the floors were being renovated and they were working their way down. Do not stay on a non-renovated floor. But even those floors are not that much better, just a little newer. Keep in mind this hotel strives to book out rooms to the absolute maximum capacity and they succeeded this particular week. Therefore if you have an issue while you are staying there, there is NOTHING they can do or able to do to move you because they are fully committed. In my opinion of this hotel is it is extremely unsanitary and filthy. For the price point, there are other hotels I have stayed out in the area that are much nicer and cleaner.

1  Thank kbd12
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Dear kbd12,

I am very sorry that we disappointed you so much while you were our guest. I do not have an explanation as to why your room was released by housekeeping with a red wine stain on the carpet. I have discussed this with my team to ensure this does not occur in the future.

We typically receive rave reviews for our service and I am embarrassed that we did not meet you expectations, nor were my expectations met.

I hope that you will accept my most sincere apology,

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I am from Australia and stayed for 4 nights. From the minute we arrived we were met by the amazingly friendly and helpful valet. The lovely girl on reception referred to us by name everytime she saw us. Amazing location right across the road from the baseball stadium!!
Overall amazing experience with super helpful staff! Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Since this hotel is located next to the baseball stadium I am going to write this equating pluses as balls and negatives as strikes.

Ball 1: Location, location, location. If you want to be in the heart of the hub of San Diego's entertainment district you really can't beat it. Petco Park, where the Padres play, is a block away and there are innumerable restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. The convention center is about a 10-15 minute walk away as well.

Strike 1: $36 to valet park over night. A little exorbitant if you ask me when you consider this is California and just about everyone is going to arrive there by car. The gal at the check-in desk told me the price seems to go up about every 6 months.

Tip: Save your money and park in the structure across the street. It was only $12 and is definitely the thing to do if you plan on just leaving your car parked and walk, etc. with no in and out. If you plan on coming in and out of the parking the valet may be the thing to do.

Ball 2: The staff was definitely freindly and the hotel has a nice decor.

Strike 2: $10 for internet access. This is more of a pet peeve of mine with any hotel. With the cost of staying in the hotel and $36 for parking, you can't let me have internet access for free? Especially on the weekend when I will more than likely be using the internet for just a few minutes to locate things to do, places to eat, etc.!

Ball 3: The food in the hotel was pretty good...including room service. Although it is a little ridiculous to sell you a pint of ice cream with no way to keep the portion you don't eat for later (no fridge in room).

3 balls - 2 strikes...what will it be!?

The pitch.....

Strike 3: The plumbing noise from the room above was pretty ridiculous. I don't know if it was our room (1224) or if all room the rooms experience the sensation of feeling like you were sleeping next to the shower. When the people above us were getting ready in the morning we were awakened by the sound of rushing water through the walls from their shower. Also, when they used their sink there was a loud gurgling sound coming from the drain in our sink! I don't know if I would expect what is obviously poor construction quality of this nature in a Days Inn.

I could also add a fourth strike. My room was billed as being a "water view" room. Maybe there was a view of the water BEFORE they built the condos across the street. I think I may have paid a premium for this supposed water view as well. So be careful of this if you do book here.

In the end this hotel struck out with me. it isn't a horrible hotel but, it isn't great either. I wouldn't send anyone there on a recommendation as a first choice. I've stayed in worse and I'm certain you could do worse.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Postbro1
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear Postbro1,

Thank you for your review and honest comments. I am sorry that the plumbing noise was a problem in your guestroom, I will have our engineering department look into this. I appreciate you letting us know. I will also look at your room rate to ensure that you were billed correctly. If you were not, we will fix our error.

Regarding some of your other insights: Our valet charges as you point out provide in/out privileges where as the garage across the street does not. We agree that if you do not need your car while you are our guest, self parking in the garage across from the hotel is a good alternative. The rate we charge is in-line with the downtown hotels, and in fact is less expensive than a few other hotels in our neighborhood.

I understand your frustration about paying for internet. The infrastructure and associated costs of providing internet access in a full service hotel is vastly different then smaller, limited service properties. Having said that, all Marriott gold and platinum reward members receive complimentary internet, and we offer complimentary internet in our business center and lobby.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We appreciate you staying with us.

Regards,

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Really enjoyed the location and quality of the facilities. Staff was friendly. The only downside was that i was on business travel, and the quality of the in-room internet was spotty (really slow, and for $9.95 - are you kidding me?). The internet was provided by AT&T (I've never stayed in a Marriott before with AT&T provided internet access). Second Marriott in a month with bad internet (Newport Beach Resort and Spa was the other one). Think I'll just stay in a Courtyard next time.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Dear DR,

Thank you very much for your review, I'm glad your enjoyed your stay.

I am sorry that you had difficulty using our internet. In the near future, we will be upgrading our hotel's internet infrastructure; this upgrade will help when many guests are on-line at the same time. in the meantime, I hope that you will continue to stay at Marriott properties and grow your rewards status as all Marriott rewards members who are gold and platinum receive complimentary internet access.

We appreciate you staying with us, and thank you again for your review.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 17, 2012

We had a fantastic stay. Everyone of the staff we encountered were extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel is located right next to Petco Park and we attended the Dodger/Padre game. We were in walking distance of the Gaslamp District, which was very convenient for meals and entertainment. We will recommend this hotel to anyone planning a visit to San Diego.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jumpshot613
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My partner and I recently stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp when we were on business in San Diego. It is very close to the conference centre, where my partner had a conference. I had other work in San Diego and it was also convenient.
The hotel is in a good location and right next to Petco Park. Petco Park was very busy with a number of baseball games on whilst we where there. Because it is so close to Petco Park it gets heavy pedestrian traffic outside the hotel and during games they close off the street out the front of the hotel.
Also, many fans seem to stay at the hotel when they come to watch a baseball game.
The lobby of the hotel is very busy and is not a relaxing place to sit and use the internet etc. Also, the hotel has a bar on the roof top that is very popular and gets a long line for the lifts during the evening on weekends. This can be a little annoying as it invites huge numbers of people into the hotel who are not guests.
We ate in the restaurant for breakfast everyday (it was included in our room rate) and the breakfasts were very good. I like healthy breakfasts and they had loads of fresh fruit, yoguht and granola etc. I am not a fan of brewed coffee and whilst the hotel offered to make a Cafe Latte for an extra $5, I didn't risk it as not doubt it would have come straight from a machine and not hand made. (We are fussy coffee drinks who are spoilt with great coffee in Melbourne, Australia).
The room was lovely and had a good feel. The staff were very helpful.
One very strange thing that I have never encountered before, was that the base sheet on the mattress was not a fitted sheet and it only just went to the end of the bed. It didn't go over the end of the bed and tuck back in under the mattress. This meant that each night the sheet would come loose and my feet would get tangled with the sheet and make sleeping uncomfortable. I thought they may have just made the bed wrong, however our sheets were changed on 2 occasions and the same thing occurred on each occasion.
There are many great restaurants very close to the hotel, so we didn't eat in the hotel restaurant for dinner.
The hotel is central to everything and an easy walk to the convention centre, the USS Midway, Horton Plaza and the CBD. It is only a $15 taxi ride from the airport.
We found the hotel staff very good. The business centre is also very good.
The wireless internet at the hotel is provided by AT&T and is quite expensive and kept dropping out frequently. We both needed internet access so we had to purchase 2 separate accesses for the week we were there which was about $120, which is very expensive. Internet access is free in the lobby of the hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 14th floor which was very good. I heard a couple of guests say not to get roo...
1  Thank Curfew156