“I like the Saki Flights...”
Review of Aqua Blu - CLOSED

Aqua Blu
Cuisines: Seafood
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I like the Saki Flights...”
Reviewed November 29, 2007

I like the Saki Flights. A little Pricey, but good quality. I never leave feeling overstuffed.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

San Diego
“Simply Excellent”
Reviewed October 13, 2007

Ate here on the spur of the moment the other night and thoroughly enjoyed my dining experience at Aqua Blu. Great food, perfectly prepared and fast service. Will definitely recommend to friends.

San Diego
“Best food I have had in San Diego Yet”
Reviewed February 4, 2007

I have dined at the French Laundry in Napa Valley and I felt the food at Aqua Blu was of that quality. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys great food.

COLUMBIA
“Aqua Blu (Wonderful)”
Reviewed July 24, 2006

We had a large party dine at Aqua Blu in the gaslamp section of San Diego.

Everything about the meal was wonderful. Many different meals were ordered and no one had a single complaint. The food was fresh and presented very well.

I had the tuna and it was the best I have ever had. My wife had a filet and it was delicious.

The service was attentive but not bothersome.

We all had a wonderful experience and will return on our next visit.

Austin, TX
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An experience not to be repeated”
Reviewed July 19, 2006

Of all the places to eat in the gaslamp district, we chose Aqua Blu based on the review it received on this site (which based on our experience I can only imagine the owner of Aqua Blu payed a hefty sum for).

Let me preface by admiting that our (mine and my girlfriend's) standards are somewhat high, but in a "4 star" atmosphere they should easily be adequately met.

The beginning of our meal started very nicely - friendly hostess and staff, nice ambiance (patio seating), etc. The appetizer, calamari, was fantastic - excellent presentation and taste, quite possibly one of the best plates of calamari I've had. The service flowed at a nice pace and the appetizer was quickly followed by the soup. We chose the lobster bisk. This where things began to take a turn. The bisk had a flavor favoring more on the lines of a celery stock, with little to no lobster flavoring (except a lingering aftertaste which annoyed the palate). A small thing, we made no mention and continued on with our meal.

For the main course, I chose the special, a filet of halibut atop a bed of shrimp hash flavored with a citrus beurre blanc. My fiance could not decide between the tuna and the filet mignon, so she left it to the discretion of the waiter. Although he initially recommended the tuna, we were pleasantly surprised to find that he ordered the filet for her.

I will say that the filet was the meal's only saving grace. The cut of meat was exquisite and was cooked precisely as requested. The Halibut (the catch of the day) was well cooked with a beautiful crust, but the strength of the shrimp flavor in the hash was overbearing and robbed the Halibut of it's subtle deliciousness.

The final stop was the desert, chocolate souffle. The presentation was excellent, accompanied by fresh berries - in fact so fresh that they still had a small fruit bug or two crawling about them or the plate. At this point, we had still not been checked on by our waiter once during the meal. Getting impatient with the experience, I asked our server for another souffle and the check. He promptly delivered another souffle (and the check), but without so much as a hint of atonement for the incident.

I asked the hostess for the manager, and she quickly returned with him. After explaining our disappointment with the service and select parts of the meal, he began to explain how it is the owner of this establishments policy not to check on the tables and to assume that everything is fantastic because it is such a great restaurant. I invited him to consider that although the menu may be fantastic, every dish served on it may not be and service can always be improved upon.

At this point, he offered to "comp" the souffle, which I appreciated but declined. I simply asked that he have the owner read this review in hopes that he may not be so pompous in the future as to assume his restaurant impeccable. He should also know that this review will be copied to several prominent epicurious websites. After all, I've had much better overall experiences at chain restaurants.

In closing, I would like to add that I work in public service, and my girlfriend is a chef. We aprreciate a great dining experience and great food. We were just disappointed that we couldn't find it at Aqua Blu.

1 Thank WillandRhea