“The most civilized lunch in the area!”

WineSellar & Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
WineSellar & Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #560 of 5,561 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Steadman St.
Description: Family owned and operated since 1988, The WineSellar and Brasserie is San Diego's premiere destination for all things fine wine. The fine dining Brasserie Restaurant is open for lunch Tuesday - Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and for dinner Tuesday - Saturday, 5:30 - 9:00. Our Casual Side Bar is open Tuesday-Friday 4pm-9pm. Happy Hour is Tuesday-Thursday 4-7 and All Night Friday. Our WineSellar retail shop is open Monday-Saturday 9am-9pm.
Reviewed May 15, 2018 via mobile

I have been going to this restaurant for business lunch for 20 years and have never had anything less than a great experience. Today’s meal was particularly notable with the fish of the day, which was just delicious and generous in portion size. We had a very relaxed business lunch in a quiet setting, with exceptional service. They do the best business lunch in the region every day except Monday, and there is also a private room that you can reserve for customer or closing lunches. This chef is killing it and the restaurant is also open for dinner and weekend wine tastings. While the location is a little eclectic, know that going in but go for the wonderful food and service experience, plus one of the deepest wine lists in the region, very friendly in it’s pricing.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank DavidMarino

Reviewed March 7, 2018

We did not care for the odd location in the back of an industrial park, seating is cramped on second floor of office, the menu did not excite, few servers on floor, food was average, this is not a 'brasserie' if they are trying to be French.

Date of visit: February 2018
2  Thank HelloThereAgain
WineSellarBrasserie, Owner at WineSellar & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2018

I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We are in an odd location for fine dining! The reason being is that we have three floors of wine storage units for our locker renters! We needed a building that could handle that purpose, and centrally located, as we were the first wine storage business from San Diego to Orange Co. When we opened we were thinking of doing wine dinners only. However, with my husband being well known, in the industry, for his long time wine & food service we were were compelled by our followers to put in a fine dining restaurant. Our restaurant has been honored with awards for excellence of food and gotten the Wine Spectator's Grand Award and Best Award of Excellence since 1988. We call ourselves “contemporary French”, not classic. This allows us leeway in our creativity, so we don’t get totally locked in to the standard French dishes as we like to add a lighter California flair. The private dining room can feel crowded if there's over a certain amount of people. I'm disappointed that you had a less than great experience and we take this feedback very seriously.

We strive for excellence and I hope you give us another chance to wow you as I think we can! Sincerely, Lori Parker

Reviewed February 16, 2018

A bit out of the way but once you enter you know you have arrived. Upon entering you walk into a interesting wine store with a bar to the left. We pursued for a few minutes before going upstairs for dinner. Love the ambiance! Our server, Greg, was super professional and very friendly. He really enhanced our evening. Food was excellent. The foie gras was delicious with blackberry and peanut butter crumble. I had the short ribs which went really well with the cab. My wife had the scallops which which which were super tasty with a modest carmelization. Really enjoyed!

Date of visit: February 2018
WineSellarBrasserie, Owner at WineSellar & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2018

Thank you so much for this lovely review. We love to hear that we made your night & time so enjoyable! This is our passion and goal to make all of our customers feel warm, welcome and give them the best in their whole experience. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed October 28, 2017

The food here is delicious. Of course no shortage of wine. You can buy it downstairs and bring it upstairs for a small corkage fee. The fee seems kinda of silly unless upstairs and downstairs have different owners. Anyway back to the food. First it is reasonably priced . I recently ate at Addison and the food was fives times the price! This was just as good. The ribeye was tender and perfectly cooked. The octopus had a grilled flavor which I love. This is in an out of the way spot but no reason not to make the effort to go there. You will feel so adventurous!

Date of visit: October 2017
WineSellarBrasserie, Owner at WineSellar & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2017

Hello Mexart101,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our restaurant!

I wanted to get back to you about the corkage. My husband and I own all of The WineSellar & Brasserie ... however, once that bottle has been taken upstairs we then have labor costs that go into the service, glassware, and so forth. We have one of the lowest corkage fees in Southern California. So, we don't make money from this ... we merely cover our cost. It was a good "question" so I thought I'd let you know why :-)

Anyway, we're so glad you enjoyed your experience. We look forward to seeing you again and giving you more great food, service, and a lovely time with us.

Cheers!
Lori Parker

Reviewed September 29, 2017 via mobile

The wine Sellar is a good choice because it's not very crowded. The food is good, it's ok, it's interesting, it's rich, and it's expensive. They try hard. The service is good. It's in a very weird location and the wine store is an Achilles heel. The best I can say is that the WS is odd.

Date of visit: September 2017
WineSellarBrasserie, Owner at WineSellar & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2017

Hello Floyd,
You are right, The WineSellar & Brasserie is in a odd location :-) We choose this location, 29 years ago, because we have wine storage lockers for private collectors. Back then, and for many years, we were the only wine storage facility in all of San Diego or Orange Co. We decided that it needed to be centrally located for all to reach. We were also the first ones in the country to offer a full experience of wine & food. When we moved from our first and much smaller location, in SD, we were a wine shop & storage. My husband had been in fine dining for many years and our customers near demanded a restaurant be included. As the years went by we not only expanded in size but also added on 3 monthly wine clubs, wine dinners, walk around wine tastings, the Casual Side bar and do a lot of private events/parties. Thus, I guess you could say that we are odd! Due to being in an industrial park we also can offer a lot of free parking ... so there are pluses that way as well :-) I'm sorry your experience was only 4 stars. I hope you return and let us make that a 5 star experience next time! Cheers, Lori

Been to WineSellar & Brasserie? Share your experiences!