“Raspberry Mojito”
Review of Miguel's Cocina

Miguel's Cocina
Ranked #250 of 5,244 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Seriously, order the Raspberry Mojito. We talked about it for the rest of our trip. The food was good and hot. The portions were large. They took us right away. Our server was very nice.

1  Thank okayteapot

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We liked the layout of the restaurant, the service and the prices. Too bad the food was really a disappointment (except for the complimentary tortilla chips). Place was busy but I don't know why when there is so much better Mexican food options in the area.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

If you are visiting San Diego during winter from a northern clime, you can have a comfortably warm dining experience on their deck/patio virtually any evening. You can gaze at the stars or sit under a roof in open air. There are two outdoor fireplaces as well as heaters.

A wide variety of Mexican food including rellenos and chicken mole is served. The most frugal diner will be satisfied with the prices, which not only are moderate, but there also is a great assortment of appetizers and small plates. For dessert, I had churros for only four dollars.

Several tequilas and marguaritas are available, but beer and wine as well.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Who says chain restaurants can't rank among the best places to eat. Miguel's Cocina in Old Town San Diego was a very satisfying find on a warm January day. There is a plethora of Mexican eateries in the area, and we picked this one, part by chance and part by intuition, seeing a man attired in a coat and tie dining mid-day in a tourist enclave, figuring he was not a tourist but a knowledgeable local businessman. We weren't disappointed, even though our analytics were probably far off the mark. The margaritas were excellent, as they should be in this locale. The mariscos, a variety of seafood in a spicy tomato broth, was my introduction to the Mexican version of this seafood dish popular in a host of variations throughout southern Europe. Would go there again.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I went based on the other reviews, and can't believe I was in the same restaurant. Atmosphere was very touristy and loud, as it's in the heart of the Old Town area. I was initially seated right next to the kitchen, but moved to the bar area due to kitchen noise. The bar area had clearly drunk customers still being served. The menu on TripAdvisor isn't up to date, but the restaurant was able to serve the Sampler with carnitas, barbacoa, and a chicken mole. All I can say is be careful what you ask for. The chicken mole was served cool/lukewarm, and the chicken was dry and seemed to be from frozen. I had one bite and scraped it to the side of the plate. The barbacoa was warmer, but was just one note and fairly greasy. The carnitas, beans, and rice were served hot--a refreshing change for temperature, but not for flavor. When I complained to the bartender about the mole, he gave me $5 off a $24 dish, even though 1/3 was inedible. He also said if I talked with him to order, he would have told me the chicken mole was lousy and to get something else. Compared to El Agave just down the road, this place was on par with Taco Bell served cold. I crossed the street to Coldstone, just to get the taste out of my mouth. I've never rated a restaurant Terrible, until I met Miguel's Cocina. Avoid.