“Excellent Food and Service”

Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #106 of 5,141 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 4th Avenue
Transit: Trolly & Train
Description: Fleming's San Diego, CA is an ongoing celebration of exceptional steak and wine. We are located in Downtown SD in the Gaslamp District off Harbor Drive, next to Seaport Village and San Diego Bay.
Reviewed February 22, 2014

During Restaurant Week in San Diego, we decided to try Fleming's Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar. We had a couple of gift certificates to use and were ready for some good petite filets. We had reservations (very important!) and were seated immediately. We asked for the Restaurant Week menus, which were presented to us along with their regular dinner & wine menus.

After reading over the menus, we both decided to order off of the Restaurant Week menu. The offerings on it were exactly what we wanted to order (and at a better price). Their wine menu is extensive, but there were wonderful selections on the Restaurant Week menu listed under the appropriate entree.

We were brought over bread with two tasty types of butter, which we enjoyed while waiting for our salads.

Our waiter, Patrick, was excellent and had outstanding customer service skills. We both ordered the petite filets, sauteed mushrooms, the Caesar salad and cheesecake for dessert. I ordered a glass of wine from the RW menu (it was perfect with the filet). The entree came with a couple of sides (creamed spinach and mashed potatoes). Each of the sides was well prepared and delicious. When we got the steaks, my spouse cut into the steak and while it was well prepared, it was seasoned with salt and Pepper (which gives him a chocking issue). When Patrick came back to our table, my spouse told him about the pepper issue on the steak. Patrick immediately took the steak away and advised he would have the chef prepare another filet to my spouse's liking, which he did. The general manager also came by to apologize to my spouse and assure him the replacement filet would soon be on his plate. And it was, along with fresh hot side dishes, in case our original ones had cooled down too much while waiting for the replacement filet.

Our cheesecake was tasty and we ordered coffee to go with it. Patrick came by with the bill when we were done and told us that the restaurant comped my spouse's meal. We told Patrick they did not have to do that, as they made the meal right by him within a short time. Patrick said Fleming's wanted to make sure their customers had the best experience possible and hoped we would come back.

The food was outstanding and the service was excellent. The next time we go back to Fleming's (and we do intend to go back), I will ask to be seated in Patrick's section. He was one of the best waiters I have ever encountered, and I have been to a lot of restaurants.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We finally got around to using our $50 gift card, but in all honesty it didn't go far. The food was good, the filet was nice and tender but ours and a couple next to us came out under cooked. The bread and flavored butter they give you are excellent as well as the steak toppers you can order to enhance your steak. It's a small location and hard to find parking if the valet isn't around. Service was very good. Extensive wine list, but a little confusing if you are only looking for a glass.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We went to Flemings because we wanted an excellent dinner with top notch service. We were not disappointed! Whether you are in Philadelphia or San Diego Flemings is consistently excellent.

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Delightful cheese plate,salad and main course. Filet was perfectly prepared, and my only "wish" would be for larger side dish servings. I suppose if I'd had a baked potato instead on mashed, it would've been fine, but the mashed potatoes were sooooo good! Nice wine selection, no view of the water, but the food is great!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Fleming's is always a safe bet when traveling and my wife and I have had good experiences with this location in previous years but we both noticed the cuts of our steaks to be extremely fatty this visit. Both steaks were full of the type of veins of fat you would expect from a rib-eye not a New York Strip and Filet Mignon. This rendered 1/2 of the New York strip inedible. I have not received a steak like this at any other Flemings location and I hope this is not a sign that this location, or the entire chain, is purchasing lower quality beef. The experience will make me think twice about going back to Fleming's in the future.

Service was nice as was the wine and other aspects of the meal. The problem is when you are a steakhouse the steak is in the spotlight and this meal fell well short of being a star performance.