“Flamenco show & dining in the Gaslamp district”

Cafe Sevilla of San Diego
Ranked #109 of 4,764 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Market St.
Description: Cafe Sevilla has been dedicated to providing the true essence of Spanish culture, music and cuisine since 1987. Located in the heart of downtown San Diego in the Gaslamp district, Cafe Sevilla is proud to offer the most authentic Spanish ambiance in their tapas bar, restaurant and nightclub. Café Sevilla specializes in Spanish tapas or small plates, which are great for a sharable dining experience. Menu offerings include a variety of tapas to include ceviche, empanadas, calamari, Spanish meatballs, stuffed dates, patatas bravas and tortilla Espanola. Main dishes include a variety of paellas, fresh seafood and savory meat dishes. We also feature a large variety of Spanish wines and refreshing sangrias. Cafe Sevilla is proud to offer: -Lunch, Brunch and Dinner -Live Entertainment 7 Nights a Week -Salsa Dance Classes Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday -Flamenco Dinner Shows Every Friday & Saturday Night -Late Night Dining on Friday and Saturday Nights -9 Course Tapas Brunch Featuring $10 Endless Champagne on Saturdays & Sundays -Enjoy Social Hour specials 7 days a week! Join us Sunday-Friday 2:30pm-6:30pm and Saturday 2:30pm-5pm for Spanish tapas bites for only $3 each. Plus, you can enjoy $3 off items $11 and under and $5 off items $12 and over on our entire food and beverage menu. -Locals can join the "Sevilla e-Club" and benefit from special menu tastings, preview events, weekly deals and more! Learn more by visiting our website. Membership is FREE! Cafe Sevilla has something for everyone! Ole!
“Flamenco show & dining in the Gaslamp district”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Enthusiastic flamenco dancers with Spanish guitar musician & singer performed while we dined on Valentine's Day. The show was quite entertaining , and the upstairs mural of bullfighting added to the ambiance.

We've eaten here before and the tapas are very good. The Valentine dinner was not as good as expected. The paella entree was with shellfish & a lobster tail.
Unfortunately, the spicy chorizo overwhelmed the dish, and that was the predominant taste of the rice dish.
The acidity from a squeeze of lemon did help cut the oily taste.

Service was quick, as it was a set menu and everyone was seated for same time.

I would return for tapas and the lively dance show, but not the paella.

Conifer, Colorado
“Authentic Tapa Experience”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was recently in San Diego for a technology conference and had the opportunity to try out Cafe Sevilla. I had a vendor I use for technical resources invite me out to dinner and suggested that I choose the location. I had been walking around the Gaslight District the night before and saw the Cafe Sevilla which looked very interesting. I previously lived in southern Spain, near Sevilla, in the wine country of Andalucia, so I definitely would enjoy a visit to Spain for the evening.

We arrived early and with the convention traffic the place was packed. Our table was not ready yet, but we found a hole at the bar and ordered a drink. I asked if they had a good "Fino" like La Ina and they said that they did, but not that brand. In the end, it was a brand that I had tried many times in Spain, so it was great to savor it again. My other colleagues had never had a good Fino and so I was able to introduce them to a new experience. Served chilled, a good Fino is dry and tastes of walnuts (at least to me).

It was very noisy, so no particularly conducive to business discussions, but I was already a customer of the vendor and so that did not matter too much. After being seated, we ordered a wide variety of tapas and a Spanish Rioja wine - Torre Muga, Tempranillo. This was a bit pricey, but well worth the experience. The whole table was pretty new at the spanish tapa thing, so I was able to help out from my experience. Everyone loved the food and the wine.

The service is a bit slow, especially when it is crowded, so don't be in a hurry. I remember that in Spain it was quite often the same. A meal in southern Spain is meant to be a social and culinary experience, not just scarf and run. ;-)

The entertainment for the night we were there was a Flamenco Band called Gipsymenco. It featured a lead Flamenco guitarist called Sal Hanna. He was backed up by two electric guitars (one lead and one bass) and a percussionist. Their music can best be described as a blend of old world Flamenco with strong influences of Modern Jazz, Arabic and other world rhythms. They were OUTSTANDING! If I was scoring it on the entertainment along, I would have made it 5+ on the Excellent scale. My friends liked it so much that the President of the vendor company bought a CD for everyone at the table.

Overall a great experience. Probably bordering on excellent.

Highly recommended if you have the time.

• Visited January 2013
Tijuana, Mexico
“This is about the Flamenco Show on Saturday Nights”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Café Sevilla has a great Flamenco show and dinner on Saturday nights downstairs from the restaurant/bar. The price of admission includes the show and a three-course dinner (salad, paella and dessert). One can order additional tapas and drinks for additional cost. The show usually includes three dancers, a guitarist and singer. On the night we were there the dancers were Vanessa, Mizuho and Rocío and the singer and guitarist were both called Oscar. The 'cuadro flamenco' was outstanding. The show itself would have been worth the price of admission but much to our surprise, the dinner was also quite good, in fact, the paella was one of the better ones I've had and considering this is a fixed menu, quite a pleasant surprise. The tapas are also quite tasty and a good value. All in all, Café Sevilla's flamenco night is a good value and lots of fun. Check it out.

• Visited February 2013
Santa Ynez, California
“Try something different”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Tapas cuisine was different and fun. Had the combo plate which included lamb chops, sausage, meatballs. Delicious. They offer a great bread before dinner but had we have known the cost was $5 and not complimentary, we would have not ordered. Good Service

Visited February 2013
Hudson, New Hampshire
“A Great Mistake”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were taken by a one of those bicycle taxi drivers to a “Mexican” restaurant. He took us to Café Sevilla and we loved it. Ever order of Tapas was excellent and the place is very cool. There was a great selection of delicious Spanish reds. This place stands out with quality not shared in the Gas Lamp District.

• Visited February 2013