“They don't know the basics. Like food prep and service.”
Review of Bbq 81 - CLOSED

Bbq 81
Cuisines: Barbecue
San Diego, California
“They don't know the basics. Like food prep and service.”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My issues are with the food prep and service.

First, there isn't a lot of communication among the staff. I ordered the Pastrami burger which was the special posted on the board outside. Told after the order that they were out of Pastrami and changed the order. Then told again later that the pastrami had arrived and they were good to go. First, if it's your special of the day, make sure you have the ingredient or pick a different special.

Second, I ordered the burger medium with slaw. The slaw was good. I knew there was an issue with the burger shortly after picking it up. I took a bite and it was about as rare as it could be. Rare enough that the bottom bun was pink and the meat was not warm to the touch. Pic is included.

Third, the waitress had disapeared for a while from her flirting with the guy at the counter so I was going to wait for her to come back before I said something.In the meantime I ate the pastrami which was good.

When the waitress came back and asked howeverything was, I pointed out that the burger was way undercooked. She just said "Oh" and went back toward the kitchen.

She arrived moments later with... the bill. I didn't want to raise a ruckuss which is all too common with everyone lately, so I just waited for her to come back. When she did, I pointed out that the price of the burger was wrong (charged $11.50 for the $10 special) and I wasn't able to eat it because it was, for lack of a better word, raw. She said, 'right I changed the price of the special and gave you a discount because it wan't prepared the way you wanted it'. Well, she got that right. Curious as to what kind of a discount I received? $3.00.

I gave BBQ81 a chance to make it right. I shouldn't need to point out the problems when they were obvious and I shouldn't need to become a terror for them to make things right. They had a chance. So, instead we paid the bill, sans tip, and left without making a scene.

To the management/owner, it appears that there are service problems based on my experience and other reviews. Make a change. It probably would be better to have a staff trained in proper service.

• Visited July 2014

Tehachapi, California
“B+”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Get there early afternoon while it's fresh. Parking not great. Variety OK. Price is right. A good place for BBQ, pretty new, only about a year old. If you are on the way to someplace else, keep on going there. If you want BBQ, come here, but this place is a one time stop.

• Visited June 2014