“Hands down the best and freshest sushi in the state”
Review of Nippon Sushi Bar

Nippon Sushi Bar
Ranked #2,645 of 4,764 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hands down the best and freshest sushi in the state”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I eat sushi at least 3 times a week. When I found this place I fell in love. The salmon sashimi is so fresh it melts in your mouth like butter. The rolls are amazing the sake is authentic Japanese sake. The quality and freshness of the fish is impeccable, and unmatched by any other sushi restaurant I've ever eaten at. Anyone that I've brought here is astonished by the amazing quality of the fish. If you are a genuine sushi lover you have to try this place.
The server's are really nice and eager to help you. They even taught me how to speak some Japanese.

• Visited August 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Horrible experience! Didn't even make it to a table!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My friend and I decided to come here for lunch on a Thursday around 12:30. We walked inside and noted that while it was busy, there were at least 2 tables of 4 completely free, around 2-3 spots at the bar open, and all tables outside free. The waiter came up to us and said very rudely that they were very busy and only had one chef and one waiter today, so he recommended that we try someplace else because he couldn't serve us today.
!!!!!
I understand if you have to tell incoming customers that you are short staffed and that they may have to wait a long time - in fact, I would appreciate being told that. However, being rudely told that we should try someplace else is NOT the way to introduce someone to your restaurant. We were so surprised that we just said ok and walked out, but we couldn't believe it! We would have waited because we were dying for some sushi, but after being treated that way I would never ever go there again. It didn't make sense to us that he turned us away and we felt like we had done something wrong or weren't the "right" type of customer. Plus, looking around at the empty tables and chairs just made me mad. I don't know if they were just having an off day but I can't believe it's their practice to just turn away customers, especially in such a rude fashion.

• Visited July 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Solid, but nothing special.”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My dad and I ducked into this place looking for a sushi lunch on a Friday afternoon. The place was completely empty. We were seated immediately and presented with smallish menu with the expected sushi standards: nigiri, a few rolls, sashimi, and some hand rolls. Nothing unusual or interesting to be found. That said, the nigiri was was fresh with reasonable sized pieces of fish and the rice was spiced right. Most of the rolls contained their 'special crab' which is really fake crab in mayo. Real crab was offered nowhere on the menu. So, that was disappointing. Bottom line is that this place was okay: decent - but nothing to get too excited about.

• Visited December 2012
Seattle, WA
“Authentic, traditional and excellent sushi”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

If you are looking for quality authentic sushi, this place is it! The venue is unassuming, calm, warm and traditional. I loved everything we had, very fresh and yummy!!! Still can't get over how beautiful "aji no tataki" and scallop sushi were. You will have to be prepared to pay a bit for this authentic experience, but reasonable for the quality you get. Our dinner there came to 80.00 a piece, but two of us had drinks, and we did order a lot. Yes, I admit, we overate, but it was very healthy, and I have no regrets. Not like overeating heavy food that weighs down on you.

• Visited November 2012
Bethesda, Maryland
“Worth the detour”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

A very small but quite charming place for sushi. It’s sushi and nothing else but sushi. Service is very friendly and quite efficient. The menu is concise and to the point; you don’t have hundreds of choices. What we ordered was nicely presented and very tasty. If you’re in town looking for a light sushi dinner or wanting to have some appetizers before moving to other Gaslamp restaurants, this is THE place.

• Visited October 2012