“Very nice bbq, friendly people, nice concept”

Rei Do Gado Brazilian Steak House
Ranked #163 of 4,933 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Barbecue, Brazilian, South American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: A trolley station is located on B street. A bus stop is right across from Rei Do Gado.
Description: The churrasco (Brazilian barbecue) is a traditional feast that has been celebrated in Brazil for centuries. It is a unique and healthy way of roasting meat over a mesquite flame that preserves tenderness and gives it a taste unmatched by any other. Guests of Rei do Gado will encounter an unlimited buffet of typical dishes and salads.
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This is good place to have diner with friends.
Nice ambiance. Meat, salads and wine are good value for money.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I am a big fan of meats, especially churrasco style (Brazilian barbeque). I have frequented some of the most popular venues such as Texas de Brazil and Fogo do Chao, as well as non-chain eateries such as Brazzaz in downtown Chicago. Rei do Gado in the Gaslamp district in San Diego is as good if not better. The service is always exceptional and the meats are spectacular. I love most of them, but my favorites are hands down the picanha, which is top sirloin, and the garlic picanha, which are also the most popular churrasco cuts. In addition to the meats, the grilled pineapple is amazingly delicious (so sweet and warm). The salad bar is plentiful and consists of various assortments of cheeses, fruits, and vegetables, as well as traditional hot dishes, such as feijoada (black bean stew) that is served with rice, farofa, etc. During dinner hours there is a “caipirinha girl” who will make you any flavor caipirinha cocktail you desire. While I do enjoy cocktails, and these are some of the tastiest, I prefer the Brazilian beer Palma Louca. On this trip both me and my guest had a fantastic experience. I am happy she enjoyed it because prior to going there I had been building it up as one of the best churrascarias anywhere. She indicated she would go there again next time in San Diego, and you know I will. Rei do Gado is indeed one of the best places for churrasco anywhere.

3  Thank Anthony K
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I took my wife here for dinner recently and came away with an overall good experience but I'm sorry it wasn't worth $48 per person. Some if the meats were good others were dry and bland a couple were un edible (pork spare rib tips). The salad buffet was ok and no dessert included?

We will not return

2  Thank David D
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I have been all over the Restaurant scene and I honestly think this was top 10 experiences I have had. I work in the Restaurant Business so I have seen a lot !

1  Thank Ron M
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This was my first try at a Brazilian restaurant and it was well worth the experience. The buffet was high quality with good variety. The meal selection which is brought right to your table and carved to your plate was delicious and very flavourful - prepared in a novel way. Overall, this was a fun way to eat and worth the price.

1  Thank Ben-Josee