“Ignored for 10 minutes”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: A trolley station is located on B street. A bus stop is right across from Rei Do Gado.
Description: The churrasco (Brazilian barbecue) is a traditional feast that has been celebrated in Brazil for centuries. It is a unique and healthy way of roasting meat over a mesquite flame that preserves tenderness and gives it a taste unmatched by any other. Guests of Rei do Gado will encounter an unlimited buffet of typical dishes and salads.
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My partner and I have been wanting to come here for dinner. With his sister in town we decided to try it out. Made a reservation for 530 on Sunday June 9th. Arrived at 5:20 greeted at the front door by a very polite hostess and was sat immediately. There we sat, ignored not even looked at as other wait staff walked by our table numerous times. The place was not busy at all. Plenty of empty tables. Plenty of wait staff walking around setting tables, standing at the bar chatting with each other.

Once we reached the 10 minute mark of still no hello, or ill be right with you, or here is some water ill be back to take your drink order....nothing. We decided to leave and take our money elsewhere. Upon walking by the front desk, I was asked by the hostess that sat us was everything ok, to which I replied no, we've not been helped and I asked her if I could speak to the manager. Another person said she would go get him. Then I waited again. While waiting for the manager one of the waiters asked what was wrong in which I replied after being ignored for 10 minutes we were leaving. He apologized and said please sit down and ill help you right away, to which I replied you yourself have walked by our table at least 3 times not one even looking our way....no thank you. Finally after about 5 min the manager appeared and asked what was wrong. Again repeating we have been ignored. He apologized and said oh no. Come sit now and ill comp our meal. I told him I wasn't interested in a free meal and was no longer interested in eating there, but I would be sure to mention my experience online. Won't go back

1  Thank Craig M
There are newer reviews for Rei Do Gado Brazilian Steak House

Reviewed June 6, 2013

After arriving too late for our reservation at another restaurant, we settled on Rei Do Gado for a meal before a play at the SD Civic Center. For my meat lover husband, any Brazilian steak house is good and so he was happy. I was impressed with the boneless chicken thighs in chimichuri--remarkably tender and not overdone. Filet mignon was nice, beef ribs too. One lamb skewer was a bit more well done than we would have liked but the next one was nice and rare.
What made Gado stand out though is the extensive 'salad bar.' Seafood, fruit, vegetables, Brazilian staples...I really enjoyed the variety and freshness.
Pricy on the weekend but I see that a weekday lunch is less than half the cost so that might be the perfect time to try it out.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was our first experience at a Brazilian steak house. The service was excellent. They answered all of our questions about the different meats being served and were always ready for drinks and anything else we needed. The salad bar was a meal in itself so don't load up on it. I liked the fish soup fried yucca. Only downside was that the elevator was not working to take patrons to the bathroom. It is 2 flights down so it would be difficult for the disabled or elderly. The weekend lunch is the best value.

1  Thank df12
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our first time to eat at this restaurant. Service is excellent and the salad bar is extremely good. There are lots of salads already made and fresh shrimp and marinated mushrooms and guacamole and chips, etc. I was very disappointed in the meat. All but one meat was so dried out and flavorless that I could not chew it. All we were getting was the outside crust. After I complained they brought by some meat that was less overdone and I had two little pieces but it was not flavorful or tasty to stay and get other meat. I am not sure if it had been sitting around or they just overcook everything. The drinks were $10.00 each Considering it was 133.92 for two dinners and two drinks it was really really not worth it. It was a very disappointing dinner on our anniversary.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I go to Rei do Gado every time we are in San Diego. Rose is awesome and the rest of the staff is just as amazing! The cuts of meat are simply delicious and we just love the atmosphere. The caipirinhas, filet wrapped in bacon and pao de queijo are our faves! Do yourself a favor and try it more than once!!!

1  Thank heatheryuma

Been to Rei Do Gado Brazilian Steak House? Share your experiences!