“Great stop after Cabrillo National Monument”

Point Loma Seafoods
Ranked #42 of 4,964 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We had a great time at Cabrillo National Monument and asked someone for a place to stop for lunch on our way back to San Diego. They recommended Point Loma Seafoods which was an easy drive from Cabrillo. When we pulled up, we almost left The parking lot was full and we really didn't want to wait to eat. Fortunately we found street parking just a few block away. The place was packed!! We didn't know it was self-service, but that was fine and simply added to the character of the place. We got in line, grabbed a seat outside watching the beautiful boats in the bay and our number was promptly called. The fish fry was great and we really enjoyed the beautiful outside setting.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,189)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Read reviews and was a bit apprehensive about going. But recommended by two people that live here. Parking was no problem, friendly and patient with us when ordering. Great view from the upper deck.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Excellent food - my wife and 3 kids enjoyed the food we bought - clam chowder, rolls, jumbo shrimp cocktail & fish and shrimp plates. We also went back a second time to purchase fresh seafood - halibut, grouper, scallops and sashimi-grade salmon as our hotel had a small kitchen - really fresh seafood.
Good location - watching the yachts and enjoying the sea-breeze. Get outside seating!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

It used to be much better. Now, the bread that it is used for the sandwiches is horrible and everything is pretty much fried and tasteless. It is also overpriced. Perhaps the management changed? The food was immensely better before the renovations, it used to be one of my favorite seafood places in San Diego. I am truly disappointed...

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is not a place to go for a romantic meal or for a sense of privacy while you are dining. It is a place to go if you love seafood! There is an extensive selection of fresh seafood to take home and cook. Too bad that we did not have that ability, because many of the selections, including the New Zealand Green Mussels, looked amazing.

When dinning in, you walk-up to the market counter, after making your selection from the large menu hanging above, and place your order. Like a fast food restaurant, you are given a number which will be called over a loud speaker when it is available for pick-up at the counter.

You can sit inside or out, either on an upper deck overlooking the harbor or an outdoor patio that reminded me somewhat of an A&W Restaurant.

I wanted to be adventurous and try eel, but they were all out. When asked what I wanted instead, who knows why California Roll came out of my mouth? Maybe because it was the closest item on the menu? I've tried various forms of Sushi many times, in many locations, and have hated it each time. I quickly ordered a side of fries, so that I would have something to eat with the Sushi I was destined to hate again.

Au contraire! The California Rolls were a delightful combination of fresh, light ingredients whose flavors complimented each other and melted in my mouth. No overpowering seaweed taste. No stale, clumpy rice. No bad fish taste mixed with unidentifiable other tastes. Just a melt in your mouth essence of the sea and no fishy aftertaste.

The fries were very good, also, and we always appreciate malt vinegar as an available condiment.

My husband deemed his cod as, "The best I've ever tasted." He didn't say much else, as he was too busy eating and smiling.

If we had not arrived so close to closing, which is at 7 PM every evening, I'm sure that we would have made pigs of ourselves and ordered more food. The dilemma would have been whether to get more of the same or try something different from the extensive menu.

Wish that we would have tried this place earlier, instead of our last day in San Diego.