“Nice restaurant but bad sea bass”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Osteria Panevino

Osteria Panevino
Reserve with OpenTable
Osteria Panevino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #136 of 4,724 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: On 5th between F & G
Fremont, California
“Nice restaurant but bad sea bass”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is a perfect romantic place for an intimate dinner. The service is good too and offers free Wifi.

I order the seafood special for the evening. The waiter failed to tell me that the sea bass is not Mediterranean Sea bass although he acknowledged that it was a firm white fish prior to placing order.

Anyway, the fish was over cooked and the scales not properly cleaned. They offered for me to have a replacement dish, but I was already tired and frustrated.

They ended up taking 10 dollars off and didn 't bother to offer the dessert menu before giving me the bill.

You properly should stick to their homemade pasta instead.

“Good but not Great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were lured here by a very friendly hostess who told us about all the homemade pasta. The waiter was really friendly and made delicious recommendations. The food came out really really quickly which we thought was a little weird but ate it anyway. I had the homemade gnocchi with walnut sauce which was ok. I thought it could have used a little more flavor and my boyfriend had some homemade pasta with meat sauce which again I thought could have used a little more flavor. The portions were huge so even though the meal was pricey that made it a little more worth it. Not sure if I'd go back, I'd much rather try something else.

England
“Average at best.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Service was terrible had to keep asking our waiter for things.. Didn't seem on it or with it to be honest.

Food was poor for all three of us, starters average, beef carpacio not good, mozzarella boring, salad good.
Entrees, ravioli hard and dry, salmon good, seabass.. Definitely was not seamanship. Sides of spinach and broccoli was Ok.

Came to like 220 bucks.. Wasn't worth it.

Don't bother

San Diego, California
“Great service and enjoyed the food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We had a party of 6, including our young 12 year old friend and her grandparents who are 88 and 92 respectively. A wide range of culinary tastes, but there was something for everyone to enjoy. We were seated promptly - our waitress was attentive, making sure we had drinks, menu's and anything else we needed. Food was served in a timely manner: Our 12 year old guest, who loves ceasar salads, pronounced with surety that "this is the best ceasar salad I've ever had" our main dishes included a couple of specials for the evening, the sea bass with a spicy red sauce which my better half enjoyed; and a risotto with clams, mussels & shrimp in a creamy garlic sauce - the lobster ravioli; potato gniochi and the bowtie pasta were devoured by all. I had the canole for desert, it was wonderful.

We will be returning for sure - a nice find in the heart of the Gas Lamp!

\

• Visited July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic Italian Food in San D”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Coming from an Italian family I find it hard to find great italian food when I go out. but this place had the goods. And the service was a++++. we were really disappointed to see a couple beside us leave after a few minutes when they didnt recieve their menus, they may have been a couple of minutes slower giving the menus but that is because you get the great spiel to go with it, just like you do in italy. and that couple REALLY missed out because of their impatience. Osteria Panevino was a great little find on a saturday night on our last trip to San Diego and we'll be heading back there on our next trip in October.

• Visited August 2012

Been to Osteria Panevino? Share your experiences!