“Nice micro brew for your enjoyment.”

Karl Strauss Brewing Company
Ranked #85 of 4,804 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, German, Pizza, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Rockton, Illinois
“Nice micro brew for your enjoyment.”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

If you know your beer, this place can offer something to match your taste. They offer a variety of types (ales, stouts, ambers, etc.) and the service people are knowledgeable.

I want to comment about the food. I thought the appetizers offered a nice variety and you can get traditional pub stuff with grease and fat or you can "dine" on more calorie conscious offerings and make your lady happy. Our server was gorgeous too, so no complaints there.

Caesar salad was crisp and not drowned in dressing. I would go back.

• Visited June 2013

• Korean first
Virginia
“Great meal”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Tonight my husband and I enjoyed our meal at the Karl Strauss Brewery. Lilly was our server and she was GREAT! We had really good beer and our meals were great. I had the Mediterranean salad with grilled chicken which was so good I would get it again tomorrow. My husband had the "Wednesday" meatloaf and it was excellent. The entire experience was very positive and I really wish we were here longer so we could go back.

• Visited June 2013
Chicago, IL
“Yummy hummus and fries, good beer, good kid's mac.”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We came for dinner on a Friday. The place was lively with a reasonably good mix of families and bar goers. We had four people - one a three-year-old child. They seated us quick - a lot faster than they promised, in fact.

We ordered the hummus, which was great, with grilled and toasted flat bread strips and a big pate of nice spicy hummus. Two of our part had beers and both were good.

For dinner we had burgers and fish-and-chips. The best thing on any of the plates was the fries, which were awesome. I ordered my burger medium, it came out well, but was still OK. My wife's burger came out medium like she ordered it and she said it was great. My dad tried the fish-n-chips and the fish was a bit mushy.

Our son had the kids mac-n-cheese, and he liked it a lot. It has a couple of different cheeses and really big noodles.

Overall, maybe a little pricey, but good, quick, and friendly. Would return.

• Visited May 2013
Gainesville, Florida
“Huge beer selection, very tasty food”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We arrived a little early for lunch, around 11am, after doing a long flight from the east coast. The place was still empty, but by the time we left around 12:15-12:30pm, it was packed. The server was very nice, bringing us samples of beer and just being very good at checking in to make sure we had everything we need. They had a nice cask of a stout with Kahlua that we both had a glass of. We ordered the chili lime sweet potato fries, and they were awesomely good with just a bit of a kick. I had a very tasty veggie burger that had well-grilled squash and onions, and my companion ordered the buffalo chicken mac & cheese. All of the food was better than average, and I'll definitely stop back there again before my trip out here is over.

• Visited May 2013
Arzier, Switzerland
“Rediscover our German roots”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I am in town for a conference, and went to Karl Strauss to unwind. Excellent restaurant: they are proud of their beer selection, and rightly so: I had a Weizen and a lager, and both had their own character. And trust me, having German and Dutch roots myself, I know a good beer when I taste it. I also had the big beer burger that came cooked exactly to my order of medium-well, and which does feed you for a week.
The most amazing, however, was Diane behind the bar who was zipping up and down at an incredible pace, still having a smile for her customers and taking good care of them. If you thought you had a tough job, think again. This gal rocks.
If you are hungry, value a good beer and excellent service, that's the place to be in San Dego.

Visited May 2013