“Great Sea Bass but skip the Lobster Bisque”

Fat Fish Cantina Grill
Ranked #84 of 4,994 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Pacific Beach
Cross street: Garnet
Transit: There are numerous bus routes to our restaurant.
Description: Fat Fish Cantinagrill combines Southern California cooking trends and the flavor-driven culinary style of our neighbors to the South. We are an eatery that's motivated to be a leader in affordable dining at the beach, inspired by seasonal harvests from the freshest Pacific seafood & California farm lands, with prime aged beef and local fresh poultry. Our space can accommodate a wide range of events and party sizes. Let us plan your next gathering and we will carefully select the perfect menu items to accomodate your friend, family, and business occasions.
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Really nice restaurant and my main course was excellent. I had the potato encrusted Sea Bass. The fish was tender and the potato crust gave it an interesting flavor. Very nice. They have a lobster bisque that could be great, but they failed. First, the flavor of the creamy broth was very good and the puff pastry top (something I've never seen on a bisque before) was an interesting and tasty touch, but the whole thing was destroyed because they double cooked the lobster. They apparently cooked the hell out of the lobster before it ever went into the bisque so eating it was like chewing rubber erasers. Not good. I hope they fix this.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Would go back just for the grilled corn (ordered the "appetizer" version but had it with my meal) and it was likely the best corn on the cob I've ever eaten! Had the salmon meal, which was delicious, served with mushrooms, squash and scallions in a broth. My husband had the seafood combination - cannot remember the name, which came with a smaller version of the corn on the cob and he said he would come back just for the corn. We sat in the "patio" which is enclosed so it was a little quieter than it would be indoors. Prices are extremely reasonable, although parking is a bit of a challenge.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and I have been to Fat Fish Cantina and Grill twice and I have to say it has been enjoyable both times from the friendly staff to the great food. We are definitely looking forward to our next trip.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The atmosphere was pleasant, and the food was very good. Both my wife and I had carnitas- carnitas hash and carnitas benedicts- and we enjoyed them very much. The sangria was very good- not syrupy sweet, yet fruity. The best part of our Pacific Beach brunch was our server- a delightful young man named Garrett. He was knowledgable, attentative and very personable without being overwhelming.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Looking for fish in PB might not sound difficult, but reservations are tough if don't plan ahead or eat real late (can't do with young child). Walk in was accommodated on taco Tuesday, with a group that has six different types of favorites, the menu has depth and lots of great choices at very reasonable prices. For tourists that want a taste of local flavor this is excellent choice. Our waitress Dallas was efficient and personable, making the evening a huge success. General Bob.