Tripadvisor
San Diego
Post
Inbox
Search

“Always Stop Here for Dinner”

Filippi's Pizza Grotto Little Italy
Order Online
OR
Order Online
Ranked #164 of 5,820 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: "Vincent DePhilippis Born in New York NY, raised in Naples Italy returned to New York City at the age of 18. Vincent DePhilippis and Madeleine Manfredi from Nimes France met in New York NY (Mamma and Papa) married in 1925, then settled in Westchester Pennsylvania. Then moved to San Diego in 1947 where they opened an Italian market named Cash & Carry Italian foods on India Street in San Diego. 1950 was the beginning of what has become a very successful line of family restaurants that are today know as Filippi's Pizza Grottos that are owned and operated by original family members of the founders. The DePhilippis family would like to welcome you and your family to visit our restaurants to enjoy our traditional old Italian family recipes."
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our favorite restaurant in little Italy. Favorites are pizza, lasagne, and chicken parmigiana dinner. Chianti is a great addition to your dinner.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (1,889)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went here as it was supposed to be West Coast's best pizza. I'm not sure if it is that but all the food was delicious and we were craving more! Check out the meatballs!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is an old fashioned pizza place at the back of an Italian market. The place is very popular and we went on a Sat night and the line up was back on the street it took us 30 min to get seated. It is a very large restaurant but the pizza was great. At the end of our meal, the line up was just as long.

Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

Being from Europe and having being to Italy, I am surprised people call this "real" Italian pizza. We had one pizza between us as they are quite big. As far as pizza goes, it is as American as you can get. It was not like any authentic Italian pizza I have ever had. The best part was the dough/crust. The toppings were extremely bland.

Reviewed January 9, 2020 via mobile

To enter the restaurant you have to go through a small store to the back, and then you get to see the restaurant.

When you enter in the restaurant it’s a bit gloomy, with empty bottles hanging from the ceiling of people whose bought it with their names and messages on it.

The bathroom was ok, not dirty but could be better.

The staff were really polite and really helpful I must say, and would give them a 10/10 for their service.

As for the food, it wasn’t as spectacular as what I had assumed when I received my order. I ordered a ravioli with meatballs, what I got was a really bitter sauce, tasteless ravioli with its blend filling, and not to mention a huge meatball which tasted quite blend.

My desert Spumoni ice cream was really great, made locally from another store in San Diego and would recommend it to all.

If you’re expecting a fancy restaurant here, this is not a place for you as it has been open since 1950. Might need to fix it up a little in my opinion, but if you’re gong just for a new experience of a new atmosphere then this is it.