“Atmosphere!”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Even though the line was a little long, it moved quickly and the food was amazing. So much food for such little money! The atmosphere seemed very authentic, and I will definitely return here next time I am in San Diego.

There are newer reviews for Filippi's Pizza Grotto

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I like to go to places like this with lots of history behind them. They have a little Italian market which is how they started out and now they have a bunch of restaurants all over Southern California. The people were really, genuinely nice. It was super busy on a Saturday night, but we were so tired from our adventures at Sea World, we just wanted to order to go to eat in our pjs and go to bed. My friend ordered the meat lasagna and minestrone soup and I ordered chicken parmesan and was able to also choose a cheese lasagna to go with it. The food was super, super cheesy and saucy which is just the way I like my Italian food. I would like to go back and taste their pizza. We waited for quite some time, but we enjoyed our meals. I wish the bread wasn't just a plain loaf given to us and was smothered in garlic and butter, but alas it was not. I kept it and took it home and made a hoagie with it. That worked out. Nice place with nice staff, nice portions, reasonable prices and good food. If you go on a weekend, be prepared to wait.

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

This is an outstanding true Italian restaurant. If you are looking for white tablecloths, a snooty waiter, concocted ambiance then this is not your place. But if you are looking for outstanding Italian food at reasonable prices then this is your place. Portions are very large for the price and one usually ends up asking for a take home box.
I recommend it highly if you want great food but without the contrived glitz.

Thank upgraded.z
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I found Filippi's 14 years ago when I was in town with some colleagues for a conference. I was pregnant and driving everyone in our group crazy because no restaurant or menu sounded good to me. I was challenged to pick a restaurant on our last night in town, so I went to the concierge at our hotel and told him my diliemna. He said, in my case his wife would recommend Filippi's! We had a variety of pizza and pasta dishes at our table. It was so fabulous we all took our leftovers with us home to Seattle the next day! I moved to Orange County 12 years ago and now I take my family, friends and colleagues every time we are in San Diego. I've had friends and family ask if we can make the drive down for dinner, while visiting in Orange County. That speaks volumes! We've made excuses to go to San Diego for the day, just so we could dine at Filippi's for dinner. The staff has always been friendly and attentive. Yes, the line is long, so prepare for it. Any restaurant that consistently has long lines, has it for a reason!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This restaurant came highly recommended by friends who had gone there many years prior. Although, in reading reviews for many sources, the restaurant did not match some of the comments. There does not appear to be any long lines waiting outside for dinners. Basically, I wished I had just ordered their salad and garlic bread (both were outstanding). However, the pasta was very bland and over cooked. Service was outstanding with more than one server inquiring to my needs. It was fun to walk through the store (in front of the restaurant). Pizza seemed to be selling very well and might suggest trying the pizza. Atmosphere was so familiar relating to so many Italian family run restaurants.