“Great place and value for families”

Filippi's Pizza Grotto
Ranked #48 of 4,852 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I went with my family of four after reading a review on TripAdvisor. My son is a bit of a pizza expert since he has to order it every place we go. When we went, the entrance was a little tricky to find since you have to go through the grocery store entrance first. The restaurant is in the back of the store near the cash register. The store smells great with all of the fresh cheeses. The restaurant seems cramped but is actually quite big. This only adds to the atmosphere. It feels like a hidden gem. The portions are HUGE. Kids should definitely be able to share a meal. Heck, I felt like I should have shared my lasagna with my wife since it was so big. I am not one that can't finish a plate, but I couldn't here (and this was without beverages and appetizers). If I lived in San Diego, I would come here at least once a week. It is a place that shouldn't be missed and is easy on the wallet.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We were steered to this restaurants by one of the bellmen at our hotel - he deserves a nice tip! This is a really neat place in back of an italian grocery. The restaurant in back covers four rooms, so even if there is a line waiting, there is no need to despair. The pasta orders are really big and easily shared if you are having something on the side or want to leave room for dessert. We didn't know enough to share so had a full container to carry out. The bill for two with a half-bottle of wind and tax was $32. If you like Italian lasagna, ravioli or spaghetti,this is the place for you.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We went on Thursday night and were guided to the last parking space next to the restaurant and it was very busy, no booking but we were seated quickly. Chianti ordered and we didn't have to wait long for the 'Special' I ordered to arrive.
There is so much on it we only managed a couple of pieces and we shared a lovely tiramasu to finish..
This place reminds me of restaurants in Italy that have not changed much for years and does not need remodelling or updating as it's charm lies in the thought that you could be taken back in time 40 or 50 years! Not fancy but just good food and good service.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We went here for a late lunch, little skeptical until you pass thru the store and get to the restaurant. Quaint, dark and pleasantly surprised. I had the special, delicious pasta shrimp with veggies with an olive oil sauce. Yummy! Others had pizza, very good.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great food. Wonderful pizza. Service was great. The toppings were wonderful. Have eaten there every time we go to San Diego. A steal for your money. A "do not miss" San Diego restaurant. Same quality of food since we started going to restaurant 20 years ago. Bathrooms could be better. Needs remodeling.