“Very good Italian pizza” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Filippi's Pizza Grotto

Filippi's Pizza Grotto
Ranked #40 of 4,699 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
San Diego
“Very good Italian pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

There are several Filippi's in San Diego. This reviewer specifically recommends the one on India Street. The non-chain type crust is a key part, with a good sauce on top with melted cheese. The lasagna is also a good option for those rare visits when someone in the group prefers other food. This pleasant, relaxing restaurant also serves sandwiches and pasta dishes. It's a sit down restaurant, not fast food. Sometimes the crust is cooked in the oven more than I like it,if so the waitress is willing to listen to what you prefer. If Stephanie is your waitress, you've got winner.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mobile, AL
“Wonderful Italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I always make a point of eating at Filippi's when in San Diego. The food is consistently very good and the portions are enough for 2. I am a huge fan of the lasagna with meat sauce. Took a party of 4 there tonight and everyone was well pleased with their meals.

• Visited February 2013
“Best Pizza Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

My boyfriend and visited this restaurant based on reviews on TA. LOVED, loved, loved this place. You have to walk through a little store to get to the restaurant. Old school, burgundy carpet, dark wood table, red checker tablecoths. We order the pizza, which was DElicious. Others around us ordered pasta, which was delivered in huge servings.

Visited February 2013
Hemet, California
“Filippi's Original”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have been dining at Filippi's PIzza Grotto in Little Italy for six decades. I first dined there when there were just a half dozen tables and the deli. I was just a child and the taste of the pizza has brought me back over and over again. The line out the door tells you that they have quite a reputation in the community. Pizza comes in many varieties and this pizza features a thick doughy crust with cheese that has a delicious pronounced provolone flavor which we prefer to those pizzas that feature only mozzarella. Filippi's pepperoni is really memorable and my personal favorite. My kids love the cheese ravioli and my wife favors the lasagna. We always start our meal with an antipasto salad. You will truly enjoy the food and the atmosphere at Filippi's!

• Visited January 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Gives Italian food a bad name”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

This place is crazy.
There is always a line, usually going outside the door, suggesting that it is something not to be missed.
I convinced our group to try it. Even our concierge mentioned it and I thought there has got to be something here we need to try. Depsite the fact that the little deli at the entrance was filthy, I went against my better judgement and I was soo wrong to do so.
The only thing Italian was the inexpensive Lambrusco wine, which at least gave us a sense of humor to deal with the situation at hand.
The lasagna was bland and so rubbery. I had to take minuscule bites just to avoid choking on the (poor quality) cheese. Ditto for the pizza.
I didn't expect this place to offer refined italian cuisine, but come on, this isn't even Italian American food. I think we were served on plastic dishes and my kids who are used to real Italian food weren't quite sure what to make of this place.
After one slice of pizza you are set for a week- way tooo heavy.
I can't believe the place manages to stay packed. Sad to think that people actually eat this way.

• Visited January 2013