“Very disappointing”

Fairouz Restaurant & Gallery
Ranked #1,229 of 4,964 Restaurants in San Diego
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I felt like Greek food and like a buffet. I found reviews of Fairouz and they were, for the most part, glowing. So I took my 16 year old daughter and off we went. I wanted to introduce her to Greek dishes. I planned on enjoying a little of everything. What a mistake.

I should have known when I first arrived not to stay. A homeless man in the parking lot accosted us wanting money to clean my car's windshield. That is not the restaurant's fault so I overlooked it. But it does tell you the quality of the neighborhood where Fairouz is located.

I ignored the second warning sign also - that being that there were only two tables occupied at the prime dinner hour of 7PM on a Friday night. But we had driven a long way so I ignored this warning also.

Suffice it to say that the experience was not good. The lemon soup was overwhelmingly starchy and not tart. Both the lamb meatballs and the gyros meat were flavorless. Ditto for the eggplant dishes - which I really was looking forward to. The desserts - sad examples - all went sampled and ignored by both my daughter and I.

Best item was the tzatziki. Pita bread dipped in that was heavenly. But a dip does not a meal make.

Service on removing our dirty plates was prompt. Every time we got up they came and took them. But I felt embarrassed because of the uneaten food left on the plates. Since nothing was good I kept giving up and going back to the buffet line hoping to find something worth eating

All in all I have to suggest you should just stay away from this place. It is not even worth a try.

1  Thank catatthebeach

Reviewed January 12, 2012

While in San Diego area, decided to go out to lunch using an Entertainment Coupon. We were in the mood for Eastern/Medit. We never used the coupon after looking at the Lunch Buffet (coupon was for entrees). Sooo many choices and the ones I had were all very good. Lots of choices for Vegans too. I'm sure we will be back someday with friends.

1  Thank luvtotrvl58
Reviewed November 1, 2011

When you first walk in side The resturant, You will be Greeted by the Host! and that very first Moment you will feel like this is your home! and you will be treated like a family, enjoy all the food are just authentic home made.
Everybody I took with me here at Fairouz just loved it,

1  Thank Haloman99
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Fairouz is a family owned and operated mediterranean restaurant/gallery. We had the lunch buffet which was very tasty/flavorful and reasonably priced. It consisted of food items (including desserts) for meat eaters and vegetarians. They had the best lemonade ever. The customer service is also great. There are cool jewelry and decor items for purchase displayed in the dining area; they made for nice converstaion pieces over lunch. If you are in the market for a different dining experience, I would definitely recommend this restaurant. I tried some food items for the first time and others I had before, but they were prepared differently and had a different taste. Me and my husband enjoyed everything we ate. Bon appetit!

2  Thank aatl2
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We found this place randomly on TripAdvisor after a long, wet day at Sea World. It's a shirt drive from the park, quite inconspicuous in a cookie cutter strip mall.... but the food is great. we ordered greek salad, hummus and falafel - all fresh, nicely prepared and delicious. there were endless bowls of warms, chewy pita. I also ordered a nice glass of Lebanese beer. My family and I are vegetarian so our choices are limited. this place fit the bill. we opted to order from the menu rather than the buffet. the service was great, the portions were enormous and the prices were ridiculously reasonable (especially after a day of theme park prices). All in all, a real gem.

1  Thank njfamilytravel