“Good Prime Rib But Little Else”
Review of Bully's East

Bully's East
Reserve with OpenTable
Bully's East is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #515 of 5,145 Restaurants in San Diego
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
Cross street: Texas Street
Transit: Located on Texas Street directly out front of Bully's East there are two bus stops, one heading South up Texas Street and one heading North down towards Qualcomm Way.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Bully's is ultra old school with naugahyde covered booths and so dark when you enter that you feel you have entered a cave. The menu is primarily meat centric and focuses on Bully's famous prime rib. We chose to dine on a recent Wednesday for a long lunch. We were seated in one of the oval booths in the main dining room. The service was friendly in every way.

On Wednesdays, Bully's features a lunch special of $15 for prime rib and sides which is a good deal. The prime rib was cooked perfectly and delicious. The baked potato was almost raw and hard as a rock. The prime rib was accompanied by a tiny amount of horseradish cream and some au jus. Also, I had a salad which was nothing more than the bagged salads that you find in the supermarket and came with an ultra runny blue cheese dressing. We never did receive any bread.

We had nice cold martinis which were ample. However, we ordered a bottle of wine from the featured specials and waited 15 minutes to be told the wine was not in stock. Why not update the special list? We ended up with a lower value wine from their meager list. To summarize, the restaurant does serve good prime rib and has ample parking and seating. Service is dineresque but friendly. I would return only for the prime rib.

1  Thank pensando42

Reviewed August 10, 2013

A friend and I went here because I wanted a steak. I ordered the bone in rib eye and asked the waitress if it were seasoned. She stated it came blackened and I explained I didn't want mine blackened, no seasoning, and medium +. When it arrived it was charred beyond edibility. I notified the waitress and she took the steak back only to return to me with the excuse from the "chef" that it is that way because it is cooked on a grill. Aren't all steaks cooked on a grill? I explained that they needed to move the steak while it's cooking if the grill flares up, not just let the fire ruin the steak and she returned with a new statement from the chef stating that all the steaks would be cooked that way on a grill and asked if I wanted something else. I said no, personally I just wanted the Kingsford briquette taste out of my mouth. Then my friend had the salmon, and discovered half way through that it was raw. I asked the waitress to get the manager and after explaining to the manager what had happened she stated the same thing, it's because it's cooked on a grill. I didn't tell her that I've grilled out longer than she's been alive . She then said that all their steaks are on point and that they are known for their prime rib and she wasn't going to argue with me... news flash Ms. Manager, prime rib isn't grilled, it's baked.
She was kind enough to offer not to charge me for the food... wow what a bonus! I've had better steaks at lower class places and won't be back.

1  Thank DaveGTR
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Always great food and service...A stay in San Diego is never complete without a stop by here. They also serve until late for those that want a bite after the show or special events.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

This place is a great Bar with Steak and Burger place. The staff is friendly and fast and remembers your name. Come ready to eat because they feed you here. I love both the Horseradish Prime Rib and the Burgers and the bar is very good as well as the food service. It is a little dark and cubby holeish, read a little dated but fun. The parking is not adequate but it is worth the inconvenience.

1  Thank SDLightpainter
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Small, tough parking, busy - there is a reason for it. The locals are there everyday, the bar tenders are very friendly, especially one named "Stretch" who is a sports buff and the food is very generous, cooked perfectly every time and serving sizes to full you up. Tucked away on a hill over looking Charger Stadium, easy off and on Fwy in Mission Valley. Try it and you will be back every time you visit San Diego.