“Delicious baked goods”

Ranked #5 of 74 Bakeries in San Diego
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This bakery was recommended by a number of people and is definitely worth seeking out. I arrived on a weekday morning before it even opened and there was already a line forming. The aroma of bread was delightful (and hunger inducing). I ordered the 3 slice plate (you get to choose 3 slices of their specialty breads), almond croissant, bear claw, pear tart and also got some homemade granola to go. We found everything to be delicious and worth every calorie!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

During many days recently spent visiting a patient in a nearby facility, I was pleased to discover that Bread & Cie is open until 7 pm.Their many delicious sandwiches are available to eat on site or to take away. Needless to say, the bread is fresh and wonderful. The choices of sandwich fillings are equally fresh and full of great flavors. They were wonderful treats and MUCH better than hospital food!

I take it down one star because I am always surprised at the expense. On the other hand, whether it is a sandwich or a muffin (try the blackberry-banana, loaded with berries) or another treat (the paradise bar is a favorite, and I ration the calories out over a couple of days on the few occasions I allow myself to indulge), everything is excellent.

As noted elsewhere, this is a locals hangout. Seating is indeed limited, but almost always comes available when you need it.

Remember that they cater, and the bread appears at many outlets and restaurants in the area. Owner Charles Kauffman has made an investment in San Diego, and it is good to see that the city appreciates his leadership. I think bread is better across the city now because Charles set the bar higher than it had been.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Delicious and unique, everything from meals to desserts are amazing. The seeded loaf is the best! Keep in mind however seating very limited.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Their sourdough is wonderful, their lemon tarts are to die for! Their cinnamon rolls are even better!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Bread and pastry never disappoints. Service rather haphazard with 2 in our party finished before my food arrived. Quiche was good but room temperature. Staff informed that they don't reheat so how to gauge when it is hot? Trying to find table a hassle as well. If I lived here, I'd get it to go and enjoy in a more relaxing atmosphere.