“Great Greek Restaurant!!”

Good for: Families with children
Tucson
“Great Greek Restaurant!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2008

We tried Athen's Market Cafe at the suggestion of a co-worker when I was on business travel. It is a local family owned restaurant located in the community of Rancho Bernardo (in north San Diego, not too far from the San Diego Wild Animal Park). We were staying at the Rancho Bernardo Inn and looking for good Greek restaurant in the area. The location was not very exciting...in a shopping center, but surprisingly it had plenty of charm once you got inside. The wait staff was very pleasant and courteous, and we found the food to be very good. The prices were not too high and they had a pretty decent wine selection too. I will definitely come back when I'm in town again.

San Diego
“Great food! HORRIBLE service!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2005

I have been dining at Athens for a number of years. Although I enjoy the food, the service has always been a few notches below the average restaurant.

At lunch time, I often take my food to go. I have learned that I need to check to make sure I have gotten everything I ordered before I leave the restaurant. Most of the time they just forget the salad dressing that I order on the side, but I have also been given the wrong order a couple of times.

For dinner, I usually dine-in. Although I think they want it to be somewhat of a cozy restaurant, it isn't. I am not sure what the atmosphere is like, but it is a little awkward. If you are looking for great service, don't dine here!

Here is what happened during our meal tonight...
Taken to a table for two, pulled out the chair and it has stuff spilled on the seat and on the back of the chair...switched chairs. Ordered drinks...drinks were brought, but server had to run and get straws...came back with straws to take our order and had to leave again to get a pen...brought apetizers...barely had two bites of our apetizer and our main meal was brought...a salad was forgotten, and ketchup was never brought or offered for the fries that we ordered. We waited a good five minutes or more hoping that a server would come by...then we got up and borrowed ketchup from some people that were not using theres anymore. How was our meal?...no one ever asked. Of course, we liked the food, but the service ruined our meal!!!!

I would like to say the service is normally better then this, but it never has been.

If you dine here, I hope you enjoy the food. But, don't plan on receiving good service.