“Very, very good barbecue!”
Review of Abbey's Bar-B-Q

Abbey's Bar-B-Q
Ranked #2,228 of 5,194 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were in San Diego for several days on vacation and one of the places we planned on visiting was Phil's to get some barbecue. Unfortunately we went on Monday and discovered they were closed. So we did a quick search and discovered Abbey's. So we drove over there. It is located in a strip mall and the interior is pretty mundane. But the food was great. We ordered the three-meat sample plate with two orders of beef ribs and one order of brisket, plus two sides. The ribs were big and meaty with great flavor. The meat came off the bone really easy and was very tasty as was their house sauce. The brisket was some of the best we have ever had. The pieces were big and juicy and tasted great. Many times I have had brisket that was cut thin so that it would be tender, but this was really thick and was super tender and juicy. The sides of fried okra and macaroni salad were very tasty. The cornbread was delicious. We just wish we had a BBQ place like this near us at home. We would be there all the time. The place is not big on atmosphere, but very big on portions, taste and flavor. Would highly recommend it. Maybe next time we are in San Diego we will try Phil's or maybe we will just go back to Abbey's for some great barbecue!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

After being in Texas for a few weeks, and sampling the best, I was not expecting anything comparable in San Diego. Don't get me wrong, this place was good.. but just Average by Texas Standards.

The side dishes certainly WERE good, just fine by any standard. I had Brisket and it looked smoked a bit but didn't quite have the black/red layering found when meats are actually cooked via a Smoker Style BBQ.

The Staff was friendly, prices not bad .. Brisket+1 Side + Drink was $10.00 .. sweet tea was very good. Overall I will go here again for sure, best in the area, as good as it gets outside the borders of the Lone Star State!!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I like going to this place for the pork sandwich, which is pretty good. The service is not very good and it's been closed a couple of times I went. The ribs don't look very good, but I haven't tried them.
I give this place three starts for the inconsistency and service. The sandwich, coleslaw and fries are typically good.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We were looking for somewhere to eat one afternoon and noticed Abbeys. My husband and I love BBQ so we decided to stop. The food was amazing! We shared the 3 meat deal with 2 sides. We had pork ribs, brisket, and pulled pork. We think the ribs are the best. We had fries and onion rings as sides. The sides weren't anything to talk about, but they were still good. We have already been back 2 times in 2 weeks and we live 25 minutes away. The cornbread is another shining star here also. It's like a piece of moist cake. Haven't tried the fried cornbread but they say it's good.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

A friend took me for lunch. What a pleasant surprise. I watched them preparing some of the different meats offered. All looked tasty. I settled on the brisket sandwich. The meat was lean and tender. The sandwich was pretty big. I chose fries for my side. (Could have been a few more fries on the plate). Warm bbq sauce was brought to the table. Cost was reasonable for the quality of the food.
I would go back.