New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout
Escondido, California
“Stumbled on Abbeys but it was a great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We were looking for somewhere to eat one afternoon and noticed Abbeys. My husband and I love BBQ so we decided to stop. The food was amazing! We shared the 3 meat deal with 2 sides. We had pork ribs, brisket, and pulled pork. We think the ribs are the best. We had fries and onion rings as sides. The sides weren't anything to talk about, but they were still good. We have already been back 2 times in 2 weeks and we live 25 minutes away. The cornbread is another shining star here also. It's like a piece of moist cake. Haven't tried the fried cornbread but they say it's good.

• Visited July 2012

USA
“Great BBQ in Kearny Mesa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

A friend took me for lunch. What a pleasant surprise. I watched them preparing some of the different meats offered. All looked tasty. I settled on the brisket sandwich. The meat was lean and tender. The sandwich was pretty big. I chose fries for my side. (Could have been a few more fries on the plate). Warm bbq sauce was brought to the table. Cost was reasonable for the quality of the food.
I would go back.

• Visited June 2012
New Bern, NC
“Small but very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

Abbey's is in a small stip Mall and is hard to see from the main road. The GPS took me there for lunch and I had to kiss it when I left. I had a hard time deciding since the menue sounded so good. I ordered a dish with Brisket, pulled pork beans and rice. Very good, more than I could eat and at a reasonable price. Won't be the last time I come here on my visits to San Diego.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank clloydm
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,379 helpful votes
“Totally decent BBQ!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

We went to Abbey's last week for some great BBQ. I actually bought a Groupon for this place many months ago but forgot all about it. It was expiring soon so I went with the family. The location isn't great and we'd probably never be in this area besides driving here to eat here.

But glad we did. That's what is great about these Groupon's is it allows you to find places you probably would have never discovered.

The staff was friendly and the sandwiches were great. I had a pulled pork sandwich and my wife had the chicken sandwich...both came with a side dish. Most dishes were around $10.

The restaurant inside itself is nothing to write home about but I doubt people that come here care what the decor is like. Seems like people that would come here are people that want some good BBQ not good ambiance.

I can't say if this is the "best BBQ in SD" like others as I haven't eaten in enough places yet...we just moved here a few weeks ago. But definitely it was very good and I'm sure we will come back again when we have the craving for BBQ.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank saintba
kearny meas
“abbeys real bbq best bbq ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2009

this is the best bbq in san deigo.
stop in at abbeys real bbq and you can try it yourself.
best pulled pork and fried okra and sweet tea, yea sweet tea.