2,243 results
All reviewswine hourpetco parkgaslamp districtjsix restaurantwine receptionconvention centerpool areamini barfree happy hourfourth floorrooftop barthe gas lamp districtevery eveningrestaurants and barsovernight parkingvalet parkingper night
Reviewed August 14, 2018

Our trip was amazing! Anna and the whole staff went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. My GF and I decided to fly down to escape the fires up north, to give her a a much needed celebration for her B-Day.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by Anna, who helped us sort out some confusion we had booking third party. Immediately she apologized for the confusion and helped us get settled in a great room. She offered a vast variety of places to eat, as well as offering to organize an in-room massage (which we ended up not doing due to staying on Coronado for too long).

After i ventured off early in the morning to get my GF flowers Anna again was able to make us feel special and sent us a vase to keep the flowers alive. The following day she sent a small bottle of wine and cupcakes to celebrate mt GFs birthday.

All in all the coffee was great, and stay was nice, but Anna and the staff really made the stay.

Would happily visit again

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
GM_Solamar, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2018

Thanks for the great words about Anna, Michael N. Glad to see she made such a memorable trip for you and your GF. She is a true gem and we'll be sure to recognize her for great service. Come back anytime! Justin GM

Reviewed August 11, 2018

Great location in the Gaslamp district so plenty of dining & drinking options nearby if you want to stray from the bar on the pool deck, the whole hotel has an upscale but relaxed atmosphere and nice touches like the complimentary evening drinks and breakfast coffee made our stay very pleasant. We made use of the free hotel bikes to explore Balboa park. The one caveat is the eye-watering rates for overnight parking $50.00 a night is extortionate, even when the valet service is excellent.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2018

From the moment you step out of your vehicle, you'll know this is one of the more upscale hotels around. The staff was very amicable and professional during the check-in process. The interiors were well-designed and exuded a sense of luxury. Arguably the most significant selling point of this hotel was its proximity to all the major tourist destinations in the Gaslamp District. It's only a short walk to Petco Park, The Convention Center, and a multitude of some of the best restaurants and bars that San Diego has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled on business
GM_Solamar, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2018

I couldn't agree with you more, Alex Q, our location is prime! Glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you come back soon. Justin-GM

Reviewed August 10, 2018

Just got back from my stay in San Diego. Overall, I liked this hotel. And I must say from the doormen, to the front desk staff, to room service, everyone here exhibited EXCELLENT service. Especially Max, who checked me in. Everyone was friendly, professional, and knowledgeable. They made everything very pleasant. If not for the below I would have given this place 5 stars.

I would say that I was not 100% satisfied with the cleanliness of the room. The decorative pillows had stains (old dried chocolate or blood?), and they did that thing hotels do now where they just wrap a comforter in sheets rather than using a duvet; the comforter underneath had a LOT of stains. Blood, dirt, what looked to be juice or food, etc. Other than that the room was very clean. But that was pretty off-putting and make me grossed out by the bed. Not the best for sleeping when you are disgusted...

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled on business
1  Thank Ri818
GM_Solamar, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello Ri818, Thanks for the review. Max is an all-star! I'm glad he took such great care of you. I'm disappointed to see the room wasn't in tiptop shape. I assure you that's not the norm as we have very high standards of cleanliness. We'll address your issues with our team. Thanks again and we hope you give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed August 8, 2018

This Kimpton is great. if you can follow directions and not get frustrated or turned-around by the one-way streets it's easy to get to. Clean, welcoming, and roomy - each of my multiple stays here have been quick but pleasant ones. They are very pet friendly too and have brought my dogs pet bed and 'pupcakes' which we felt was a nice touch. Our rooms were good-sized and clean, comfortable and quiet. The location is great and safe, but this area of downtown San Diego can get crowded if it is peak season of they have a big, city-wide event happening. It's close to many good eateries, and live music venues, tourist attractions, and the hotel staff is more than happy to help you find your way about town.
In summary, this is the better of the 2 Kimptons in San Diego! I've stayed at both, and prefer this one due to its location (and the other one's proximity to the jail).

Room Tip: If you want a quieter floor, you don't want to be close to the roof.
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled on business
3  Thank celestronica

Thanks for the review, celestronica. Glad we made you and your fur-babies feel right at home! We hope to see you all back again soon. Justin- GM