“The WORST Hotel Experience Ever!”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #42 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
orange county
“The WORST Hotel Experience Ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2006

This was by far the worst experience I have ever had at any hotel. First it started with valet telling me their lot was full, and I would have to park across the street. Just as I was about to pay the meter, I realized all cars would be towed between the hours of 2am-6am. I came back and told the valet manager my distress of having to worry about my car being towed. He then informed me, he was not aware of that rule because he did not work that "lot", then suggested I just keep driving around and find a "self-parking" garage. Infuriated and deeply frustrated, since I had booked 3 rooms for the weekend for a bachelorette party, I asked to speak to the hotel manager, who also told me that she was "sorry" and unfortunately the lot was full, blah, blah , blah. Dinner by the pool consisted of bad food and even badder service. Since when was snooty and rude service meant a place was "cool"? Although the ambiance was nice, the service from numerous employees was so atrocious it definitely tainted the experience. Tried to have breakfast at (JSix) the hotel's restaurant the next morning and was told that it would take 20 minutes to sit 7 people and another 20 minutes to sit another 7...so "maybe we should consider going elsewhere". Wow! I thought I was on candid camera...because I couldn't believe it. I would never ever recommend staying at this hotel. There are many other trendy and chic hotels with better customer service!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not stay at this hotel under any circumstances!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank cpais

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
Castroville, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Solamar 7/6-9 and had a great time. Granted we fall into the 30 something/bar crowd so my opinion is different from the other reviewers. The hotel and rooms are very modern and clean. I never even saw someone with a pet. The bar around the the pool is a great place to relax and people watch. It's in walking distance to Seaport Village and all the great restaurants and bars in the Gaslamp Quarter. We ate at Croce's one night which was excellent! The hotel food is good but overpriced (like most hotel restaurants). The only negative was we had returned to our room at 5 one evening and housekeeping had not come yet.

• Liked — Location and Modern Style of Rooms
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank KristaLB
aberdeen scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2006

My 17 year old daughter and I arrived on a Thursday. We had booked the accommodation through Virgin Holidays and requested a twin (two bedded room) but on arrival were advised that they didn't have may of these and we would have to share. Disappointing but no major disaster. Pool area was lovely and friendly that afternoon. However as the weekend crowd arrived from Friday onwards it became impossible to get a seat by the pool and as mentioned by others it was uncomfortable to go swimming with the non resident crowd dominating the bar/pool area. The evening wine reception was a welcome bonus and the hotel location was excellent for shopping and eating out. Saw a few dogs around the place but there was no evidence of fleas or odours where we were. The complementary internet access was a bonus. Staff not very geared to tourists however with poor knowledge and information on trolley bus etc. I would stay again if not at weekend.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank annekr
New England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2006

It's probably not appropriate for a hotel to advertise that it is for 20-somethings (some are 30 but act 20) who want to be seen in a trendy spot, but that's Hotel Solamar. I hestitate to poorly review any hotel that has some bright spots, but for a family with teens (or children), you have to dig deep to enjoy. There's a definite "air" of "what are you doing here" if you have children. (I bet seniors are treated with the same arrogance.) The lobby is chic & lovely, but the desk help are so sophisticated that they have trouble being courteous to the guests who don't fit the bill. The rooms are decorated nicely, but pity the hotel workers who have to clean the "pet stuff". (If you have a sensitive nose, you will notice the aroma in the halls & your room.) It is expensive to park at the hotel ($24/ night), but the hotel workers who get your car are fabulous (quick & accomodating). The restaurant is beautiful and has expensive but delicious food.

The hotel is in a nice location for Gas Lamp, Convention Center, Horton Plaza, etc. You can walk or take one of the many bicylces (rickshaw-style, sorry about the spelling) to get anywhere around the city.

The outdoor pool is small but nice (with music underwater). But it is in the bar area, so no one under 21 is allowed there after 8pm or so. Very disappointing to pay the same price for a room & not be able to see the fireworks from the rooftop as they flew over Petco for the 4th. Of course, this news is undoubtedly a plus for the guests who I mentioned at the start this review.

• Stayed July 2006
9 Thank Looking
Hillsborough, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2006

The "new and trendy" hotel in San Diego has a fatal flaw: it caters to the twenty-something crowd, and that's it. My fiancee and I were terribly disappointed when we found out that the pool area, which looks great in the photos, is converted to a local pick-up joint in the evenings. Most, if not all, of the barflys were not hotel guests, and nobody was swimming. So, to swim, a guest would be ogled by about 100 puerile non-guests. Also, a cozy cabana seating area near the pool had a "reserved" sign on it. When we inquired about guests using that particular facility and how to reserve it, we found that anyone can reserve it, guest or not, and paying $300 for the evening with a five drink minimium. Needless to say, we were astonished to discover that advertised amenities were not available to paying guests.

Other serious shortcomings were poor service, dirty sheets, and obnoxious bartenders. For the money, the Hotel Solamar is a huge disappointment.

• Stayed July 2006
7 Thank ShnopsyEsperanza
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2006

THERE ARE FLEAS in the HOTEL SOLAMAR!!
I was impressed with the decor, the styling and the comfort of the room UNTIL
I discovered that the room had fleas. I was stretching in my room when I discovered at least two fleas hopping on my person and on the carpet.

As the SOLAMAR is a pet friendly hotel, the fleas, no doubt, are the results of dogs having been in my room. And while the dogs and their owners may have checked out, not so with the FLEAS.

Whilst I found the ambience of the hotel charming and would have loved to have remained there, I had to quickly flee the premises for fear of being bitten by the fleas.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank ilevare
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2006

It seems to me that most of the good reviews were patrons who were either local or from LA. Not being local, perhaps my expectations are different, but nevertheless I am a seasoned traveler for many years. My check in clerk was abrupt and did not quite let me finish my sentences. I indicated that I do travel frequently and am excited to be there. The reply was we dont have any more upgrades available. Room was small, had smelly pillows and fridge was noisy. Next day I was giver an even smaller room. The pillows still smelled. The small fitness center had no towels, the water container was empty. I called front desk about the problem. Next day, they had water. No towels. One out of two is still bad. Next evening asked about wine reception, as I overheard guest talking about it the day before, front desk clerk said, your late, it stopped at 6. I dont know what is wrong with asking, but I do expect, a more cordial response of .. I am truly sorry... PS they did not even tell me they had one upon my check in. The only reason I stayed for 4 nights was the proximity to the business I was attending to and a convention was on so rooms are limited. Next time I should stick with my plan. I would rather stay in any other hotel than be treated poorly again. On one slightl positive note, the room service was on time, but they got part of the order wrong. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. I most certainly do not recommend this hotel. Unless you tell me you are a meter maid, IRS auditor, or a wise guy.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business