“Like the W without the attitude...”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #42 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
WORCESTER, MA
“Like the W without the attitude...”
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I chose this hotel for a business trip for myself and my boss; we stayed just one night in San Diego, but he & I both love this type of modern hotel. It did not disappoint! Fast easy check-in, super fast valet parking ($32/nt.), great rooms with gorgeous decor and super comfortable beds. Free wireless internet! Really cool bathrooms with Aveda products. First rate all the way. I booked on Kimpton.com and it was $119 a night + $1 for continental breakfast (you can "upgrade" to eggs for $7). I will definitely stay here next time I'm in SD.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
Vestal, New York
Reviewed June 24, 2009

We had four adults and one toddler in our party. We had a room with two queen beds and then added a crib and it was a bit cramped. The hotel decor and staff made us completely forget we were crammed into our room. The hotel staff is exceptional. They make you feel like you're someone special from the moment you pull into valet parking. The valet staff is amazing and are willing to go the extra mile for your convenience. We got a good rate for two nights during the week. We didn't dine in the hotel but had drinks at JSix. From our perspective the drinks were very expensive....$12.00 for a glass of wine and you weren't paying for the ambiance. The pool area was really cool and I can see why it would be a popular night spot. Very trendy hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Stayed at the Hotel Solamar for about four nights. We enjoyed our stay and would return to the hotel. The room was a decent size with decent closet space and nice decor the chaise was a plus. The hotel offered a complimentary tea hour in the morning and wine hour in the evening. The rooftop pool area/lounge was spacious and had heat lamps. The negative part is that parking at the hotel was expensive.

• Stayed June 2009
Maryland, USA
Reviewed June 14, 2009

Visited June 9 with family (two adults and kids 9 and 7). Took advantage of a special rate that included a bottle of wine and breakfast as well. Hotel is a nice one - boutique feel to it. Not large in terms of lobby and meeting areas nor rooms but very comfortable. Highlights include a rooftop pool on 4th floor, 'wine hour', a very nice workout room (Precor etc), comforting polished staff. Location is awesome - gaslamp district, near Petco baseball stadium.. Drug store one block away -- what more can you ask for?? It's geared for both business and leisure -- I hope they can keep it affordable for leisure travelers as it's a treat to stay there.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Ferndale, Michigan
Reviewed June 12, 2009

We were able to check in a bit early for our stay with no problems. The front desk staff and concierge were always extremely nice and very helpful. Our room was clean and well-stocked. The location can't be beat - right in the Gaslamp District, easy walking distance to tons of restaurants, shops, bars and the trolley.

The evening wine reception was a nice plus and the dinner we had at the restaurant was top notch to me! The hotel is cool, funky, wonderfully decorated and in nice shape. With the furnishings and music, etc., they definitely cater to a younger crowd. I just wish the weather was better so we could have enjoyed the rooftop pool and lounge. The hotel was not super crowded while we were there so we didn't notice any noise from the bar area, but I can see how it night be bothersome if you were in a room that faced it on a busy night.

I really have nothing but nice things to say about our visit. I would stay here again in a heartbeat, loved it. Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 7, 2009

My husband and I went to San Diego to meet some friends who live there and to participate in the 2009 Mud Run at Camp Pendleton. I saw all the great reviews of Hotel Solamar on TripAdvisor, so I checked into room rates on various websites, including the hotel's website. The hotel's website had the most expensive room rate and 1800hotels.com had by far the BEST and least expensive rate. I called the hotel's reservation line and they matched the rate that 1800hotels.com was offering. That saved us over $50/night.

We checked right in upon arrival and the front desk staff and valet attendants were very friendly. Our room was on the 7th floor overlooking 6th street. The room was beautifully decorated with modern decor, huge flat screen TV, very comfortable bed with no top comforter - which we LOVED - just triple sheeting and throw pillows that matched the decor of the room. The bathroom was clean, very nice modern fixtures, Aveda amenities and white fluffy towels. The shower head was fabulous - almost like a steam shower with great water pressure. They have FREE in-room Wi-fi! That's a big plus!

They have a wine reception every evening from 5 - 6pm offering a red, white and sangria. We went both nights and enjoyed our wine and good conversation in the 'living room'. Also, each morning they offer a coffee and tea reception until 9:30am. We didn't eat at the hotel's restaurant, but the pizza samples that we tried during the wine reception were very tasty. We also didn't use the pool, but we did have drinks out by the back area of the pool that overlooked the street.

The location of the hotel is absolutely perfect. We were close enough to walk to PETCO Park to see a baseball game (just around the corner). There are so many great restaurants, bars and shops within walking district of the hotel. Friday night we enjoyed a meal at Old Spaghetti Factory to carbo load before the 10K race the next morning. Then on Saturday night, we had dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, Sevilla. You can't beat the Sangria and tapas! On Sunday morning, we walked to Mary Jane's Coffee Shop, which is located next to the Hard Rock Hotel.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and will be going there again on our next trip to San Diego. The only downside is the $32/night valet fee. Being from Vegas, I'm used to free valet parking. There is a $20/day parking lot across the street, but for safety reasons we opted to pay the $32/night fee. So, with the $50/night we 'saved' by getting the 1800hotels.com rate, we ended up using it for parking.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank macabee98
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We stayed 2 nights at the Solamar. I booked 2 rooms, one for us and one for my in-laws. When we arrived at the hotel we very impressed w/the look and feel of it. We arrived prior to 3:00 check-in but the staff stored our luggage and indicated our rooms should be ready in an hour. No problem as we wanted to get lunch. Sure enough an hour later my cell phone rang and the staff advised our rooms were now ready!! Rooms are beautifully decorated. We had a nice view (8th floor) that looked toward Petco park. Valet staff was always helpful w/recommendations on where to eat and were prompt on retrieving our car. We would definitely stay at this hotel again. The location is perfect for walking the Gas Lamp District. We took the San Diego trolley tour and the pick up/stop was only a block from the hotel, which made it very easy. The only thing that may change my opinion is my husband left his flip flops in our room, which we didn't notice until we got home and unpacked. I called and left a message for the head of housekeeping/lost&found. However, 2 days have gone by and I have not received a phone call back...I hope this won't change my opinion of an otherwise great experience and stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple