“A+ for Hotel Solamar”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #41 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I am a frequent business traveler and regularly stay at different hotels. I can’t say enough great things about my recent stay at Hotel Solamar. Being the best experience I’ve had in a while, I think what set Hotel Solamar apart from other hotels was the amazing and friendly staff. Everything was phenomenal from the moment I arrived, including the room and restaurants.

One of the evenings, I enjoyed a dinner poolside on the terrace at LOUNGEsix where I was provided with world class service by Natalie. She may have been the best server I have ever had, and is a perfect example of why I will return to Hotel Solamar.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
GM_Solamar, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Hello David C,

We give you an A+ for this review! Love it! It makes me so happy to see our customer service shine. We really appreciate the feedback and hope to see you back next time business brings you to San Diego!

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Solamar Hotel

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Hotel Solamar, Cool Boutique Hotel with a Great Location

I just attended San Diego Comic Con and was lucky enough to score a room at the Hotel Solamar, a Kimpton Hotel. My plane arrived early and I got to the hotel long before check in time. Feeling tired after the long plane ride, I was pleasantly surprised when they gave me a key to my hotel room right away. That earned them one very grateful guest. Located at 435 6th Avenue, it was a convenient three block walk to the San Diego Convention Center. Shops and restaurants were also within walking distance.

The first room they gave me was in the back of the hotel and featured a view of a yellow construction crane, which was not what I had in mind for a view out the window of my San Diego hotel. I called guest services and they immediately relocated me to a room in the front of the hotel overlooking the pool and outdoor area. It was a much better view but I was unaware the space was also used for outdoor parties. One of the parties was the premiere for the movie the Sharknado 2, the noise wasn’t that bad but it was still noticeable.

The hotel is very environmentally conscious; for example, there are little notes in different places in the room giving you the option of selecting eco-friendly practices such as reusing your towels. The room was comfortable and modern through a bit dark for my taste. The bed was comfortable. Strangely, I couldn’t get any sound on the flat screen TV. And yes, I tried the mute button. I called down about it and was told it would be fixed when I got back to the room but wasn’t and I had to ask again the next day.

Since my primary focus was attending San Diego Comic Con I did not get to use many of the hotels features. The pool looked great and was located right next the bar. There is also an on-site fitness center. I was invited to the hotels complimentary nightly wine tasting but was unable to attend. Internet is available in your room but there is a fee. I was happy that my surface tablet fit in the in room safe with plenty of room for other items.

There is not a business center but there is a desk with a computer and printer where you can print your boarding pass.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel do not offer views as nice as the front of the hotel. However, rooms...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Hi
Thanks for the great review. We’re glad you enjoyed the hotel and location. We hope to see you back next Comic-Con!

Reviewed August 6, 2014

This hotel is clearly geared toward the party crowd. There were several large groups here come to party and have a good time... which is wonderful unless you're hoping for a nice, clean place to stay. The staff and housekeeping were clearly geared toward serving that scene, because the place was filthy, smelled like a bar, and the staff responded with about the same urgency or care that you would with careless drunks. We had to beg for our room to be cleaned at 4:00 one day. The towels were all full of holes and rips, and the bath products were so awful, we ran to CVS for some Suave! Also, half of the hotel faces construction, which begins at 6:00 am each morning- including the weekends. They're on the ground floor of construction of what appears to be a space for a 20 story building, so expect that noise issue to continue well into 2015. If you are a bachelor or bachelorette party and looking for a place to let loose, this is your scene. If you plan to be at all aware of your surroundings and don't want to be accosted in the elevator by a naked, drunk bachelor, think twice before booking this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Hello C Y,

Looks like we let you down and I am sorry to hear that. I’d really like the opportunity to discuss your stay in more depth. I’ve left a private message with you.
Best Regards,

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I was in town for the San Diego 1/2 Marathon. The hotel was perfectly situated for our race needs. Roof top pool was a great place to relax, staff was friendly, room was comfortable, location was perfect! We stayed 5 nights and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello kentuckygirl125,

Thanks for this amazing review! Glad you got to relax after the marathon at our awesome pool and lounge. Come back and see us soon!

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel when visiting San Diego. Excellent hotel. Very nice roof-top pool with poolbar (food and drinks). A lot of nice restaurants within walking distance. (like cafe 21). Walking distance to San Diego convention centre, ferry to Coranado Island and Petro Park baseball stadium. Complementary wine and beer tasting in the afternoon. (Expensive valet paring at $40, but we left the car at the airport before arriving the hotel.)

Dog friendly hotel (if you travel with dogs).

Room Tip: Do not get a room at the same floor as the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fahlvik

Hello Fahlvik,

Thanks for the 5 Star review! We’re happy you enjoyed the hotel and our location. Café 21 is one of my favs too! Come back and see us soon.

Assistant General Manger

Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

We went to San Diego to see out daughter and enjoy a beautiful city. We checked trip advisor for good hotels in the gaslamp district.
Wow! Did we hit pay dirt. The Solamar is not the most elegant end all hotel we ever stayed at. The decor is average although very clean and to get an elevator takes quite a wait sometimes.
Solamar is in the heart of the action. Very close to Petco park and about a zillion great places for entertainment!
Our room was very comfortable and clean. The decor was early confusion but lent well to its great esthetics. You would expect a little outré from a great boutique hotel.
The plus to this hotel is the staff. You are treated with courtesy and concern for your comfort the minute you enter. There was a 5 until 6 wine and snack each night and free coffee 24/7.
Nothing was ever a problem for the staff . The hotel was spotless and getting around the city was a cinch because of its great location.
I find great boutique hotel such as Solamar thrive because of their commitment to great great service.
I plan on going back to San Diego in October and would not even consider another hotel. What it lacks in glitz it makes up for with location, reasonable cost, cleanliness and comfort; but most of all a staff that is second to no one. What a pleasant stay!
I want to congratulate the staff on their incredible service! Always with a smile and a can do. Uncommon!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Hello patrick B,

Thanks for such a great review. I love seeing reviews with such great praise about our service. That’s what truly brings people back. Can’t wait to see you again in October!

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

The people who work here they are not friendly the lobby is to dark tv.services is terrible no Spanish chanel it's a very old in the bathroom they only put cheap soap no space for you clothes you have to leave you clothes in you logged

• Stayed: August 2014
GM_Solamar, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Hello Herminia M,

I've reached out to you via personal message to discuss your review in more depth. I look forward to hearing from you.